Most users use the workout app watch face to keep track of the distance, calories, and more when working out.
The always-on display makes it ideal for showing some of your best Apple Watch faces. What if you wanted to keep your watch face instead of the default workout app face while going for your walks or runs?
- How to install and update apps on your Apple Watch without an iPhone
- Is your Apple Watch suddenly missing apps? Learn to fix it
- Complete Guide to the Workout App for your new Apple Watch
How to run the Workout App in the background on your Apple Watch
Yes, there are settings on your Apple Watch that will help you run the workout app in the background while you sport your favorite watch face during your workouts.
Here is how you can get this setup and use it on your Apple Watch
- Open the Settings App on your Apple Watch.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Return to Clock.
- On this screen, you can set up the time duration after which the watch switches to your preferred watch face.
Apple Watch returns to the Clock Face after 2 minutes of displaying a launched app or after the Digital Crown is pressed.
Setting up Return to Clock for different apps on your Apple Watch
After selecting the time duration from the main Return to Clock screen, you can scroll down and choose app-specific behavior.
- Scroll down to the list of apps on the Return to the Clock screen.
- Choose the app by tapping on it.
- Select ‘Custom’ here under Return to Clock.
- When you select ‘Custom,’ you can define the parameters for ‘When Not in Session.’
- For the ‘When in Session’ enable ‘Return to App’ on this screen so that your watch can return to the workout face when you are working out.
When you turn off ‘Return to app’ for ‘When in session’ for a particular app, the watch defaults to the clock face, and you won’t have to see the workout app screen until you complete your workout session.
We hope you liked this short article on running Apple Watch apps in the background.
Please let us know if you have any questions or want to share one of your favorite Apple Watch tips using the comments below.