Apple’s new studio-style Fitness+ service is out!
The $9.99/month (or $79.99/year) Fitness+ subscription is now ready for you to check out.
And best of all, you can share one subscription in your family since it allows up to five other family members to use it.
Plus, if you bought a new Apple Watch recently, you should be able to take advantage of the three months free trial and check out this exciting service offering from Apple.
- Get to know the 21 Apple Fitness+ trainers who get your fitness goals back on track in 2021
- Cardio Fitness levels feature on Apple Watch, here’s what you should know
- Get fit with Apple Fitness+: a comprehensive guide
- 5 Best Rowing Machines for Apple Fitness+ workouts
- 1 Basic Requirements for Apple Fitness+
- 2 How to set up Apple Fitness+ for multiple users in your family
- 3 Set up a new Family Sharing plan for Apple Fitness+
- 4 Join your Fitness+ family sharing and test it out!
- 5 Can multiple users use Fitness+ at the same time?
- 6 Family member Apple Watch not recognized for Fitness+ on Apple TV
- 7 Summary
Basic Requirements for Apple Fitness+
Before you get started, here are some essential pointers to make a note of.
First, you are required to have an Apple Watch running watchOS 7.2+ to access this service.
Therefore, you must update your iPhone to iOS 14.3+ and your Apple Watch to iOS watchOS 7.2+ before getting started.
If you plan on using your iPad or Apple TV to follow along with the streaming videos, you should update these devices to the latest Apple operating system as well.
Apple Watch and Apple ID
Your Apple Watch plays a central role in the Fitness+ ecosystem.
The Apple Fitness+ experience automatically integrates your Apple Watch metrics and displays them on your iPhone / iPad / Apple TV as you are working out.
These metrics, such as your activity rings, heart rate, calories burned, the total time for the exercises, and more, are tied directly to your Apple ID.
Members of your family must have their own Apple IDs allowing them to use the Fitness+ program.
The system automatically differentiates people based on the Apple ID and keeps track of metrics separately for your family’s various members trying out the fitness+ subscription.
Not in an Apple family plan?
If you aren’t part of a family sharing plan yet, the first step is to join one or create one.
One adult in your family — the organizer — invites all the other members to join and sets up accounts for everyone to join.
The organizer also specifies an adult, child, parent, and who can make or not make purchases.
Once family members join, Family Sharing is set up on everyone’s devices automatically.
Once you establish this family, multiple users (up to 6 total) can share the Apple Fitness+ program.
How to set up Apple Fitness+ for multiple users in your family
If you updated recently to the Apple One Premier plan ($29.95 a month for five members of your family), you are all set up to start using the Fitness+ service since Apple included Fitness+ as an offering in this service bundle.
When signed up for Apple One regular or another Apple Family Plan, Fitness+ is not a part of the bundle. It is only available as a part of the Apple one Premier plan.
If you are still on the old plan and just signed up exclusively to use the Fitness+ plan of $9.99 / month or $79.99/year, then once a single member joins Fitness+, all family members can access it via that Family sharing plan.
Share Apple Fitness+ with your family!
In that case, all a family member with purchasing power needs to do is sign up for Apple Fitness+ by tapping the option to Try it Free.
Then, the family member (again, with purchasing power) decides to sign up for a monthly plan or a yearly plan.
Finally, verify that Purchase Sharing is enabled to be accessible by multiple users in your family group.
If you are new to the concept of Family sharing, follow along with the step-by-step guide below to set up and use Fitness+.
Set up a new Family Sharing plan for Apple Fitness+
Assuming you are the organizer for this Family fitness+ service, follow these steps:
- Open Settings app on your iPhone
- Tap on your name at the top of the screen
- Scroll down and choose ‘Family Sharing’
- Next, tap on Set up your Family
- Tap on ‘Add Member’ or “Add Child” (for designated parents/guardians)
- Invite other family members using their unique Apple IDs
- DO NOT share Apple IDs
- Once they accept your invitation, you can check the status of the invite by going to Settings > Your name > Family Sharing > tap on the family member’s name
- Here you can resend them the invite if they have not yet joined
- Enable purchase sharing on your account
- Then sign up for Apple Fitness+
Does a family member not have an iPhone or iPad?
If you are setting up a new Apple Watch for a family member who doesn’t have the iPhone, you can use the ‘Family Setup’ process to add them in.
Once you set up the Family Plan as an organizer, signed up for the Apple Fitness+ plan, and enabled purchase sharing on your account, other family members can access Fitness+ from their own devices using their own Apple IDs.
Join your Fitness+ family sharing and test it out!
As a member of a family plan, once you accept the invitation to join the family group, verify your access to subscriptions
- Open the Settings app on their iPhone and click on the name
- Tap on Family Sharing
- Scroll down to the section ‘SHARED WITH YOUR FAMILY’
- Locate Fitness+ and tap on it
- Verify your name or Apple ID under ‘SHARED WITH’
- If you don’t have access to Fitness+, ask the family organizer or parent to grant access to that subscription
How do family members access Fitness+?
Once a family member subscribes to Fitness+ and grants access to other family members, open the Fitness app and look for the new Fitness+ tab at the bottom.
Then, explore all the Fitness+ workouts and even download workouts to your devices for offline viewing.
Can multiple users use Fitness+ at the same time?
Yes, as long as each person uses their own device, your entire family can work out with Apple Fitness+ using whichever workout they prefer.
Since each user is uniquely identified via their Apple ID, they can use the Fitness+ service simultaneously using their own devices.
However, at this time, you cannot do an Apple Fitness+ workout together using just one device.
Apple Fitness+ does not currently support two or more people (and Apple Watches) working out together, doing the same workout.
With Apple Fitness+, only one Apple Watch can sync to an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV at a time.
We’re hoping that a future update to Apple Fitness+ brings features like multiple Apple ID/Apple Watch sign-ins and support for multiple on-screen stats.
If you want to do an Apple Fitness+ workout together, try these things:
- Each person launches Apple Fitness+ on a different device. Then press the Let’s Go Button (play) at the same time and follow along using the larger of the devices (for example, one person connects to an Apple TV while another uses an iPhone (on mute) and both watch the Apple TV.)
- Have one person complete the workout using Apple Fitness+ while the other person exercises along and has their activity measured in the Workout app, without using Apple Fitness+.
Family member Apple Watch not recognized for Fitness+ on Apple TV
As an organizer for the family plan with Fitness Plus, I didn’t get the pairing canceled message and connected my Apple Watch with my Apple TV and launch Fitness+ with ease.
However, after adding family members to Fitness+, it appeared that they were having challenges in launching Fitness+.
For some reason, their Apple watch never shows up on the Apple TV prompt when Fitness+ is launched.
When clicking to add a watch, it prompts that the action is confirmed on their Apple Watch, but the prompt never appears on their watch.
What eventually worked is to make sure that they hold their Apple Watch close to the Apple TV box. When the Apple Watch is near the Apple TV, you will see a screen requesting to connect with the PIN.
No amount of resetting the devices or sign-out and sign-in of the iCloud account on the devices helped.
The only way was to bring the Apple Watch close to the Apple TV.
We hope you could quickly set up and share the exciting Apple Fitness+ plan with multiple users in your household.
We will be updating this article with additional details as we start testing out this new Apple service.
Please let us know if you have any questions or comments.