A little less-known fact about premium smartwatches is that they can play multiple forms of media – including videos. So, if you are interested in learning how to play videos on Samsung Galaxy Watch devices or YouTube videos, this is the how-to guide that you’ve been looking for.
- Samsung Wearable Smartglasses may able to detect your alcohol levels and more
- 19 tips and tricks for your new Samsung Galaxy Watch 3
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 health features vs Apple Watch health detailed
We are going to be mentioning both how to play online videos straight from YouTube as well as downloaded ones on your watch’s storage. So, without any further ado, let us get right into it!
How to Use YouTube on Samsung Galaxy Watch Devices
The official YouTube app is unfortunately not available for Tizen (The Galaxy Watch’s Linux-based OS). This means that you have two options to play YouTube videos on your watch:
- Using the web browser
- Relying on a 3rd party app
Feel free to choose whatever fits you best.
1: Using the Web Browser
First things first, you always have the old reliable method of using the web browser. Samsung’s built-in browser should do just fine. But, if you are interested, there are always 3rd party apps to choose from as well.
Here is how to play YouTube videos on your Galaxy Watch by using the web browser:
- Open the app store
- Download and install “Samsung Internet” or any other browser of your choosing
- Scroll down to the saved bookmarks
- Select “YouTube”
- Then keep on using YouΤube as you normally would
It may not be the most aesthetic UI ever. But it gets the job done.
2: Use a 3rd Party YouTube Player
As we mentioned above, at the moment of writing this article, there is no official YouTube app. However, there is at least one 3rd party option to choose from. For now, the only viable option is Watch Tube.
Not too long ago, there were plenty of players to choose from. Gtube, Yo! Tube, Watch Tube, and Geartube, only to name a few. Now they are all deleted.
With that said, don’t be surprised if our recommendation above gets deleted in the future as well. If that happens, kindly let us know in the comments section down below and we’ll update the article accordingly.
How to Play Videos on Samsung Galaxy Watch Devices Locally
Normally, a Samsung Galaxy Watch is only going to allow you to transfer photos and songs. Videos are out of the question – even though Samsung watches are more than capable of video playback.
A good workaround to this is using a 3rd party file transfer app such as Gear File Manager + File Transfer to transfer a video from your phone to the watch and then play it there. Here is how:
- Download and install Gear File Manager + File Transfer from the app store
- After installation, the app should prompt you to install its companion app as well. Do it
- By using your phone, open a file manager of your choosing
- Find the video that you wish to send
- Copy it by long-pressing on it and selecting “Copy”
- Paste it on the “GearFileManagerSender” folder of your phone’s internal storage
- Open the Gear File Manager Companion on your phone
- Open the “File Manager Pro” on the watch
- Scroll down and select the “Downloads” folder
- Tap on the 3 dots at the right part of the screen
- Scroll to where it says “Receive file from phone” and select that
- On your phone, on the Gear File Manager Companion app, select “Connect to Gear” and then “Reload”
- And tap on the video that you wish to send
Then you simply wait until the video is transferred and you should be good to go.
Depending on how large your video is, it may take some time before the transfer is completed. You could say the overall process is a bit lengthy, in general. But once you get used to it, it’s actually pretty easy.
Once the video is on your Galaxy Watch, you can then play it, copy it elsewhere, rename it, etc.
That’s about all we got for now. If you have any questions or any additional information to share, feel free to let us and everyone else know about it in the comments section down below!
Also, if you liked this article, feel free to share it with your friends by using the social media buttons!
As an Amazon Associate MyHealthyApple may earn commissions from qualifying purchases using our links