If you track your exercise using Apple’s Fitness app and your overall health with the Health app, adding one more brilliant gadget to your routine might make all the difference. Enter in the smart scale.
Do you really need a smart scale? Maybe. What smart scales offer versus traditional scales is an easy way to monitor and track the results of your health and fitness routines.
No more entering your weight information manually to track accurate calories!
Plus, along with measuring your weight, many smart scales offer advanced features, like measuring body composition along with muscle and body fat percentages.
And some smart scales also tally your bone mass and water percentage–important metrics for athletes and aging people.
But not all smart scales are equal. So, in this article, we look at your best options.
We include budget options and expensive and premium picks to give you a variety of smart scales.
So, lets’ get going.
- 1 In a hurry?
- 2 Smart scales are a great companion to your exercise routine and Apple Fitness+
- 3 What is an Apple Health Scale?
- 4 1: Withings Body+ – Best Overall
- 5 2: RENPHO Scale – Best Value
- 6 3: QardioBase2 – Our High-End Pick
- 7 4: Withings/Nokia Body Cardio – Best for Heart Rate Tracking
- 8 5: Etekcity – Best Budget Apple Health Scale
- 9 6: iHealth Nexus Body Composition Scale – Our Readers’ Favorite Scale
- 10 FAQ
- 11 Wrapping Up
In a hurry?
For those that want our recommendations without getting all the details, here are our top smart scales that integrate with your iPhone’s Apple Health app.
- Best overall: Withing’s Body+ smart scale
- Best value pick: Renpho’s Body Fat Smart Scale
- Best luxury model: QardioBase2 WiFi Smart Scale
- Best smart scale that includes heart rate tracking and information: Withings/Nokia Body Cardio Scale
- Best budget pick: Etekcity Body Smart Scale
- Reader favorite: iHealth Nexus Body Fat Scale Smart BMI Scale
- Get fit with Apple Fitness+: a comprehensive guide
- The Burn Bar takes your workout to the next level in Apple Fitness+
- Apple Watch not displaying calories or inaccurate count? Check these tips
- Top 3 Samsung Health compatible scales
Smart scales are a great companion to your exercise routine and Apple Fitness+
Along with Apple’s Fitness app and the Apple Watch’s Workout & Activity apps, a smart scale gives you feedback and data on your current fitness and health.
And if you subscribe to and use Apple Fitness+, smart scales can let you know if your chosen Apple Fitness+ classes are working and helping you accomplish your weight and body composition goals.
What is an Apple Health Scale?
Smart scales can connect with your phone via an app that communicates with its scale and gives you all the information you need.
These apps integrate with Apple Health, which is good if you want to have all of your health and fitness information in one app.
And, more importantly, smart scales allow you to avoid entering manual weight information by syncing that information automatically with the Health app on your iPhone!
Apple Health scales are just smart scales that offer an app that integrates with the Apple Health app. So, they are just Apple Health-compatible scales.
One word of caution: The body fat composition metric on the Smart Scales can be a little iffy for many lesser-known brands.
Plus, if you share your scales with other members of your family or household, smart scales track each person’s weight best when family members’ weights are significantly different. If you and your family members are within a few pounds of each other, the scales don’t auto-track, and you may need to identify who is getting weighed.
With that out of the way, let us move on with the reviews!
1: Withings Body+ – Best Overall
Out of all the scales on this list, the Withings Body+ may be one of the priciest ones, but it may also be the best.
It’s compatible with:
- Google fit
- Apple Health
- #1 SELLING SMART SCALE IN THE US
- FULL BODY COMPOSITION - Monitors weight (kg, lb, st), body fat & Water %, plus muscle & bone mass....
Just like most high-end smart scales, the Withings Body+ can keep measurements for up to 8 users while it can connect to your smartphone with both Bluetooth and WiFi.
It keeps track of each person based on weight history, and each person can either use the same account or create separate accounts (using Withing’s Health Mate app.)
This scale can track fat percentage, muscle, bones, and even water percentage with stats. Not to mention it can also follow a baby’s weight independently in case you are pregnant.
While the scale comes with its small display to give you basic information, you can naturally also use the Health Mate app to track everything – including the history/progress of all your metrics.
Speaking of the app, you can find it on iOS and Android. Plus, it’s also Alexa compatible.
Do keep in mind that Withings has tons of other products too. Things like smartwatches, fitness trackers, and more. You can use the same app to gather info on steps, heart rate, and more. Otherwise, you can also rely on Apple Health to do the same with 3rd party smart options.
- Good build quality
- Its app is natively compatible with other smart products
- Tons of metrics with a pregnancy tracker (Or Baby Mode, as Withings calls it)
- Alexa compatibility is a welcome addition
- A bit pricey
2: RENPHO Scale – Best Value
Cheap scales that are good are hard to find. Cheap smart scales, even more so. App development on its own is something that costs quite a lot. But as far as budget Apple Health-compatible scales are concerned, we’d say that RENPHO’s offering is one of the best – if not the best.
It works with:
- Apple Health
- Google Fit
- Samsung Health
- Smart App Works with Fitness Apps. Over millions of happy global users. Easy setup app works with...
- 13 Essential Body Fat Measurements. The RENPHO Smart BMI scale measures weight, Body Fat, BMI,...
Don’t get fooled by the low price. RENPHO offers plenty of metrics. In many cases, even more than severely more expensive scales.
This includes fat percentage, water, muscle mass, bone mass, visceral fat, subcutaneous fat, and metabolic age.
You can use the app to track your progress over the last week, month, or year.
You can also set goals, create user accounts for multiple family members, and store data for up to eight users. Renpho’s scale automatically recognizes each user based on their weight.
Unfortunately, RENPHO doesn’t have any smartwatches or fitness bands that we know of – which means that you won’t be able to build a smart RENPHO ecosystem even if you want to. Though the scale is compatible with Apple Health, you can connect it with any other Apple Health-compatible device and have all your data in one place.
The only downside of this scale is that it only works with Bluetooth (though there is a pricer WWiFi version.) This may restrict you in terms of range – but it’s a small price to pay considering how much you get for less than $30.
- Relatively cheap
- Provides all the essential metrics that you’ll need and more
- Despite the low price, its app is compatible with both Apple Health and other alternatives
- No advanced WiFi features such as pregnancy tracking (which is to be expected at this price point)
3: QardioBase2 – Our High-End Pick
Qardio is one of the most popular brands there. So, it’s no surprise that one of its smart scales is among our top picks. This is quite possibly the most expensive pick on our list, but it’s also the only one that offers many features.
You can use it with:
- Apple Health
- Samsung Health
- And Google Fit
- FULL BODY COMPOSITION: QardioBase2 measure your weight (lb, kg), calculates BMI and tracks changes...
- EASY SETUP: Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connected from a free Qardio app. Works on any surface, anywhere....
As you no doubt already expected, the QardioBase2 offers everything that its cheaper variants do and more.
Fat percentage calculator, muscle mass, bone weight, support for multiple users, water percentage calculator, and anything related to body composition.
Additionally, there is a large display and pregnancy tracking.
Needless to say that at this price point, you get both WiWiFid Bluetooth. Another minor plus is the addition of a rechargeable battery. So instead of replacing AAA batteries, all you have to do is recharge the scale with a standard USB cable once per year, and that’s about it.
- The larger display and rechargeable battery are both welcome additions
- Compatible with Kindle (Also with iOS and Android, of course)
- Works with Alexa and Siri as well
- Just as expensive as the Withings Body Cardio (More about that down below)
4: Withings/Nokia Body Cardio – Best for Heart Rate Tracking
This is pretty much the Withings Body+, with the only difference being that it also offers heart rate tracking and cardiovascular health monitoring. Just like with the cheaper variant, you can use this with:
- Google fit
- Apple Health
- Nokia Body Cardio- Wi-Fi Smart Scale with Body Composition & Heart Rate, Black OPEN BOX
We didn’t pick this one as the best Apple Health scale since most of you will probably use a smartwatch or smart band.
If you already have another device that supports heart rate monitoring, what’s the point in spending the extra money to have it on your scale?
Still, if money isn’t an issue or you are not interested in buying another smart heart-rate monitoring device, Withings’ offering may be worth considering.
Also, unlike the cheaper variant, the Body Cardio comes with a rechargeable battery. A single charge can give you enough battery life for up to a year and, while this isn’t a huge deal, it’s a welcome addition nonetheless.
- Heart rate tracking
- The rechargeable battery is a welcome addition
- Integrates well with other Withings products
- One of the most expensive picks on this list
- Small display despite the large price
5: Etekcity – Best Budget Apple Health Scale
If you are on the lookout for a cheap Apple Health scale, this is definitely worth checking out. It comes with all the essential features you’ll ever need, and it works with both iOS and Android.
To be more specific, it’s compatible with:
- Apple Health
- Google Fit
- Samsung Health
- And Fitbit
- FIRST RATE QUALITY: Don't settle for less! As the #1 SELLING BRAND of body weight scales in the US,...
- CONSISTENT ACCURACY: Tired of inaccurate scales? Our scale can offer you increments down to 0.05lb...
You can expect to find all the basic body composition metrics such as fat percentage, muscle percentage, BMI, bone density, and more for a total of 13 biometric body composition measurements when using Etekcity’s VeSync app.
There’s also a Baby Mode to help you weigh and track your baby, as well as a zero-current mode to measure your weight and BMI during pregnancy safely. You can even use Baby Mode to track your pet’s weight!
You will only get Bluetooth connectivity at this price point without WiFWiFi AAA batteries instead of the rechargeable one that premium variants tend to offer.
The app also supports progress tracking to see your results over days, weeks, or months. Alternatively, you can also rely on Apple Health for that.
And that’s about all there is to it. Just a smart scale that offers all the basics that smart scales are supposed to deliver.
- Cheapest offering on this list
- It offers all the “basic” body composition metrics and some advanced measurements, too, such as fat percentage, water percentage, muscle, and more
- Probably the best value
- No rechargeable batteries (which is to be expected at this price point
6: iHealth Nexus Body Composition Scale – Our Readers’ Favorite Scale
If you’re looking for a scale that tracks your weight, body composition metrics, and even your fitness data, look no further than our readers’ favorite scale, iHealth’s Nexus Wireless Body Composition Scale.
It’s compatible with both:
- Apple Health
- Samsung Health
- Full Body Composition - 9 Precise data points to know yourself better. Monitors weight (kg, lb, st),...
- Accurate You Can Trust - Two pairs of super-sensitive g-shaped sensors and own developed algorithm...
This medical-grade level body composition scale not only tracks and measures your weight, BMI, and body fat it also records your body’s water mass, lean mass, and muscle mass.
Additionally, it can track changes in your bone mass and let you know how much your bones weigh–an essential measure for women in menopause.
The scale and its companion app, iHealth MyVitals, use all that information and give you a visceral fat rating, helping you keep track of the changes, positive or negative, of how much belly fat you have.
You can use the iHealth Nexus with the whole family, up to 8 people. And the scale auto recognizes people based on their weight history. And family members don’t need to have to use the app each time they weigh themselves!
So all family members need to do is step on the scale and iHealth Nexus differentiates each person from the others, as long as each person’s weight is different by 5-pounds. If two people are about the same weight, they can use their assigned user number on the scale to let it know who is getting weighed.
The scale also uses low-energy Bluetooth 4.0 and can run up to 6 months on four AAA batteries!
- Affordable and reader recommended
- It offers many body composition metrics and some advanced measurements
- No rechargeable batteries
What Type of Scales Are Most Accurate?
Digital scales have generally proved to be more accurate than their analog counterparts – they don’t even have to be smart ones.
However, just because a scale is digital doesn’t also mean that it will be accurate. Therefore, it’s always worth paying attention to both user reviews and professional reviews.
Does the Withings Scale Work with Apple Health?
Yes. The Withings app can seamlessly integrate with the Apple Health app, and the same goes for all of our picks on this list.
Can Body Fat Scales be Wrong?
When it comes to just weight metrics, most scales are generally not deviated by a lot. However, things get more complicated when measuring body fat percentage and other things like that.
That is because scales send a weak electrical impulse through your body and then calculate your fat percentage depending on the current encounters’ resistance level.
They also need an algorithm–and if the formula is not accurate, the results will not be too accurate either.
According to our sources, even the most accurate readings were off by about 21%. Thus, yes, body fat scales can be wrong.
But, thankfully, you can still measure with decent accuracy how much your fat percentage is increasing or decreasing.
Are Smart Scales Worth it?
That’s a question for you to answer. If you want our opinion, the cheapest smart scales worth it come at just a bit more than 20 bucks – which is not much more expensive than a traditional scale. So, yes. We’d say they are worth it.
That’s all for now. If you have any more questions or recommendations, you can let us and everyone else know about them in the comments section below!
If you liked this article, please follow us on social media by using the social media buttons so that you won’t miss any new content.
We sometimes use affiliate links in our content from Amazon and others. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps us pay our expenses. Thank you for the support!
Last update on 2022-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API