If you track your exercise using Apple’s Fitness app and your overall health with the Health app, adding one more brilliant gadget to your routine might make all the difference. Enter the smart scale.
Do you really need a smart scale? Maybe. What smart scales offer versus traditional scales is an easy way to monitor and track the results of your health and fitness routines.
No more entering your weight information manually to track accurate calories!
Besides measuring your weight, many smart scales offer advanced features, like calculating body composition and muscle and body fat percentages.
And some intelligent scales also tally your bone mass and water percentage–important metrics for athletes and aging people.
But not all smart scales are equal. So, in this article, we look at your best options.
We include budget options and expensive and premium picks to give you a variety of smart scales.
So, lets’ get going.
- 1 In a hurry?
- 2 Smart scales are a great companion to your exercise routine and Apple Fitness+
- 3 What is an Apple Health Scale?
- 4 1: Withings Body+ – Best overall
- 5 2: RENPHO Scale – Best value
- 6 3: QardioBase X – Our high-end pick
- 7 4: Withings Body Cardio – Best for heart rate tracking
- 8 5: Etekcity – Best budget Apple Health scale
- 9 6: iHealth Nexus Body Composition Scale – Our readers’ favorite scale
- 10 FAQ
- 11 Wrapping up
In a hurry?
For those that want our recommendations without getting all the details, here are our top smart scales that integrate with your iPhone’s Apple Health app.
- Best overall: Withing’s Body+ smart scale
- Best value pick: Renpho’s Body Fat Smart Scale
- Best luxury model: QardioBase X WiFi Smart Scale
- Best smart scale that includes heart rate tracking and information: Withings Body Cardio Scale
- Best budget pick: Etekcity Body Smart Scale
- Reader favorite: iHealth Nexus Body Fat Scale Smart BMI Scale
- 10 best Google Fit compatible smart scales for any budget
- Top 3 Samsung Health compatible scales
- 5 best smart scales that work with the Fitbit app
- Noom Free Trial vs. Weight Watchers (WW) Digital Free Trial
- Looking for a cheaper diet app than WW or Noom? Try Healthi (formerly iTrackBites)
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases using links in this post.
Smart scales are a great companion to your exercise routine and Apple Fitness+
Along with Apple’s Fitness app and the Apple Watch’s Workout & Activity apps, a smart scale gives you feedback and data on your current fitness and health.
And if you subscribe to and use Apple Fitness+, smart scales can let you know if your chosen Apple Fitness+ classes are working and helping you accomplish your weight and body composition goals.
What is an Apple Health Scale?
Smart scales can connect with your phone via an app that communicates with its scale and gives you all the information you need.
These apps integrate with Apple Health, which is good if you want to have all your health and fitness information in one app.
And more importantly, smart scales allow you to avoid entering manual weight information by syncing that information automatically with the Health app on your iPhone!
Apple Health scales are just smart scales that offer an app that integrates with the Apple Health app. So, they are just Apple Health-compatible scales.
One word of caution: The body fat composition metric on the Smart Scales can be a little iffy for many lesser-known brands.
Plus, if you share your scales with other members of your family or household, smart scales track each person’s weight best when family members’ weights are significantly different.
If you and your family members are within a few pounds of each other, the scales don’t auto-track, and you may need to identify who is getting weighed.
With that out of the way, let us move on with the reviews!
1: Withings Body+ – Best overall
Out of all the scales on this list, the Withings Body+ may be one of the priciest ones, but it may also be the best.
It’s compatible with the following:
- Google Fit
- Apple Health
- #1 BEST-SELLING SMART SCALE In the US. One of the smartest digital scales for body weight, making it...
- BODY COMPOSITION - The withings scale functions as a bmi measurement tool or body fat analyzer. This...
Like most high-end smart scales, the Withings Body+ can keep measurements for up to 8 users while connecting to your smartphone with Bluetooth and WiFi.
It keeps track of each person based on weight history, and each person can use the same account or create separate accounts (using Withing’s Health Mate app.)
This scale can track fat percentage, muscle, bones, and even water percentage and follow a baby’s weight independently in case you are pregnant.
While the scale has a small display to give you basic information, you can use the Health Mate app to track everything – including the history/progress of all your metrics.
Speaking of the app, you can find it on iOS and Android. Plus, it’s also Alexa compatible.
Do keep in mind that Withings has tons of other products too. Things like smartwatches, fitness trackers, and more.
You can use the same app to gather info on steps, heart rate, and more. Otherwise, you can rely on Apple Health to do the same with 3rd party smart options.
- Good build quality
- Its app is natively compatible with other smart products
- Tons of metrics with a pregnancy tracker (Or Baby Mode, as Withings calls it)
- Alexa compatibility is a welcome addition
- A bit pricey
2: RENPHO Scale – Best value
Cheap scales that are good are hard to find. Cheap smart scales, even more so. App development on its own is something that costs quite a lot.
But as far as budget Apple Health-compatible scales are concerned, we’d say that RENPHO’s offering is one of the best – if not the best.
It works with:
- Apple Health
- Google Fit
- Samsung Health
- Smart App Works with Fitness Apps. Over millions of happy global users. Easy setup app works with...
- 13 Essential Body Fat Measurements. The RENPHO Smart BMI scale measures weight, Body Fat, BMI,...
Don’t get fooled by the low price. RENPHO offers plenty of metrics. In many cases, even more than severely more expensive scales.
This includes fat percentage, water, muscle mass, bone mass, visceral fat, subcutaneous fat, and metabolic age.
You can use the app to track your progress over the last week, month, or year.
You can also set goals, create user accounts for multiple family members, and store data for up to eight users. Renpho’s scale automatically recognizes each user based on their weight.
Unfortunately, RENPHO doesn’t have any smartwatches or fitness bands that we know of – which means that you won’t be able to build a smart RENPHO ecosystem even if you want to.
But since the scale is compatible with Apple Health, you can connect it with any other Apple Health-compatible device and have all your data in one place.
The only downside of this scale is that it only works with Bluetooth (though there is a pricer WiFi version.) This may restrict you in terms of range – but it’s a small price to pay considering how much you get for less than $30.
- Relatively cheap
- It provides all the essential metrics that you’ll need and more
- Despite the low price, its app is compatible with both Apple Health and other alternatives
- No advanced WiFi features, such as pregnancy tracking (which is to be expected at this price point)
3: QardioBase X – Our high-end pick
Qardio is one of the most popular brands there. So, it’s no surprise that one of its smart scales is among our top picks.
The QardioBase X smart body composition scale is one of the most expensive picks on our list, but it’s also the only one offering many features.
You can use it with the following:
- Apple Health and Apple Watch
- Samsung Health
- Google Fit
- Alexa and Siri
- BODY COMPOSITION SCALE - QardioBase X measures your weight (lb, kg, st), calculates BMI and tracks...
- BEST SMART SCALE - According to CNET, an independent website that reviews technology and consumer...
As you no doubt already expected, the QardioBase X offers everything that its cheaper variants do and more.
Fat percentage calculator, muscle mass, bone weight, support for multiple users, water percentage calculator, and anything related to body composition.
Additionally, there is a large display and pregnancy tracking. And it works on almost any floor surface, including carpets and rugs!
Needless to say that at this price point, you get WiFi or Bluetooth syncing. Another minor plus is the addition of a rechargeable battery.
So instead of replacing AAA batteries, you have to recharge the scale with a standard USB-C cable once per year, and that’s about it.
- The larger display and rechargeable battery are both welcome additions
- Works with all the major health apps (Apple Health, Samsung Health, and Google Fit)
- More expensive than others
4: Withings Body Cardio – Best for heart rate tracking
This is pretty much the Withings Body+, the only difference being that it also offers heart rate tracking and cardiovascular health monitoring. Just like with the cheaper variant, you can use this with the following:
- Google Fit
- Apple Health
- #1 WORLDWIDE - FIRST SMART SCALE WITH CARDIO CHECK-UP. It's a one of a kind weight scale for body...
- HEART RATE MONITOR - Get heart rate with the built-in heart monitor plus an indication of your...
We didn’t pick this one as the best Apple Health scale since most of you will probably use a smartwatch or smart band.
If you already have another device that supports heart rate monitoring, what’s the point in spending the extra money to have it on your scale?
Still, if money isn’t an issue or you are not interested in buying another smart heart-rate monitoring device, Withings’ offering may be worth considering.
Also, unlike the cheaper variant, the Body Cardio comes with a rechargeable battery.
A single charge can give you enough battery life for up to a year, and while this isn’t a huge deal, it’s a welcome addition nonetheless.
- Heart rate tracking
- The rechargeable battery is a welcome addition
- Integrates well with other Withings products
- One of the most expensive picks on this list
- Small display despite the large price
5: Etekcity – Best budget Apple Health scale
This is worth checking out if you are looking for a cheap Apple Health scale. It has all the essential features you’ll ever need and works with iOS and Android.
To be more specific, it’s compatible with the following:
- Apple Health
- Google Fit
- Samsung Health
- And Fitbit
- FSA / HSA eligible
- FIRST RATE QUALITY: Don't settle for less. As the no.1 SELLING BRAND of body weight scales in the...
You can expect to find all the basic body composition metrics such as fat percentage, muscle percentage, BMI, bone density, and more for a total of 13 biometric body composition measurements when using Etekcity’s VeSync app.
There’s also a Baby Mode to help you weigh and track your baby and a zero-current mode to safely measure your weight and BMI during pregnancy. You can even use Baby Mode to track your pet’s weight!
You will only get Bluetooth connectivity at this price point without WiFWiFi AAA batteries instead of the rechargeable ones that premium variants tend to offer.
The app also supports progress tracking to see your results over days, weeks, or months. Alternatively, you can also rely on Apple Health for that.
And that’s about all there is to it. Just a smart scale that offers all the basics that smart scales are supposed to deliver.
- Cheapest offering on this list
- It offers all the “basic” body composition metrics and some advanced measurements, too, such as fat percentage, water percentage, muscle, and more
- Probably the best value
- No rechargeable batteries (which is to be expected at this price point
6: iHealth Nexus Body Composition Scale – Our readers’ favorite scale
If you’re looking for a scale that tracks your weight, body composition metrics, and fitness data, look no further than our readers’ favorite scale, iHealth’s Nexus Wireless Body Composition Scale.
It’s compatible with both:
- Apple Health
- Samsung Health
- Full Body Composition - 9 precise data points to know yourself better. Monitors weight (kg, lb, st),...
- Accuracy You Can Trust - Two pairs of super-sensitive g-shaped sensors and own developed algorithm...
This medical-grade level body composition scale not only tracks and measures your weight, BMI, and body fat but also records your body’s water, lean, and muscle mass.
Additionally, it can track changes in your bone mass and tell you how much your bones weigh–an essential measure for women in menopause.
The scale and its companion app, iHealth MyVitals, use all that information and give you a visceral fat rating, helping you keep track of the positive or negative changes in how much belly fat you have.
You can use the iHealth Nexus with the whole family, up to 8 people. And the scale auto-recognizes people based on their weight history. And family members don’t need to use the app each time they weigh themselves!
So all family members need to do is step on the scale and iHealth Nexus differentiates each person from the others as long as each person’s weight is different by 5 pounds.
If two people have the same weight, they can use their assigned user number on the scale to let it know who is getting weighed.
The scale also uses low-energy Bluetooth 4.0 and can run up to 6 months on four AAA batteries!
- Affordable and reader recommended
- It offers many body composition metrics and some advanced measurements
- No rechargeable batteries
What types of scales are most accurate?
Digital scales are generally more accurate than their analog counterparts – they don’t even have to be smart.
However, just because a scale is digital doesn’t mean it will be accurate. Therefore, it’s always worth paying attention to both user reviews and professional reviews.
Does the Withings Scale work with Apple Health?
Yes. The Withings app can seamlessly integrate with the Apple Health app, and the same goes for all of our picks on this list.
Can body fat scales be wrong?
When it comes to just weight metrics, most scales are generally not deviated by a lot. However, things get more complicated when measuring body fat percentage and other things.
That is because scales send a weak electrical impulse through your body and then calculate your fat percentage depending on the current encounters’ resistance level.
They also need an algorithm–and if the formula is not accurate, the results will not be too accurate either.
According to our sources, the most accurate readings were off by about 21%. Thus, yes, body fat scales can be wrong.
But thankfully, you can still measure with decent accuracy how much your fat percentage is increasing or decreasing.
Are smart scales worth it?
That’s a question for you to answer. If you want our opinion, the cheapest smart scales worth it come at just a bit more than 20 bucks – which is not much more expensive than a traditional scale. So, yes. We’d say they are worth it.
That’s all for now. If you have more questions or recommendations, you can let us and everyone else know about them in the comments section below!
If you liked this article, please follow us on social media by using the social media buttons so that you won’t miss any new content.
We sometimes use affiliate links in our content from Amazon and others. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps us pay our expenses. Thank you for the support! Last update on 2023-01-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API