If you track your exercise using Apple’s Fitness app and your overall health with the Health app, adding one more brilliant gadget to your routine might make all the difference. Enter in the smart scale.
Do you really need a smart scale? Maybe. What smart scales offer versus traditional scales is an easy way to monitor and track the results of your health and fitness routines.
No more entering your weight information manually to track accurate calories.
Plus, along with measuring your weight, many smart scales offer advanced features, like measuring body composition along with muscle and body fat percentages.
And some smart scales also tally your bone mass and water percentage–important metrics for athletes and aging people.
But not all smart scales are equal. So, in this article, we look at your best options.
We include budget options and expensive and premium picks to give you a variety of smart scales.
So, lets’ get going…
- Get fit with Apple Fitness+: a comprehensive guide
- The Burn Bar takes your workout to the next level in Apple Fitness+
- Apple Watch not displaying calories or inaccurate count? Check these tips
- 5 Best Fitness Gears for iPhone Users in 2020
- Complete Guide to the Workout App for your new Apple Watch
- Top 3 Samsung Health compatible scales
- 1 Smart scales are a great companion to your exercise routine and Apple Fitness+
- 2 What is an Apple Health Scale?
- 3 1: Withings Body+ – Best Overall
- 4 2: RENPHO Scale – Best Value
- 5 3: QardioBase2 – Our High-End Pick
- 6 4: Withings/Nokia Body Cardio – Best for Heart Rate Tracking
- 7 5: Etekcity – Best Budget Apple Health Scale
- 8 FAQ
- 9 Wrapping Up
Smart scales are a great companion to your exercise routine and Apple Fitness+
Along with Apple’s Fitness app and the Apple Watch’s Workout & Activity apps, a smart scale gives you a lot of feedback and data on your current fitness and health.
And if you subscribe to and use Apple Fitness+, smart scales can let you know if your chosen Apple Fitness+ classes are working and helping you accomplish your weight and body composition goals.
What is an Apple Health Scale?
Smart scales can connect with your phone via an app that communicates with its scale and gives you all the information you need. These apps integrate with Apple Health – which is a good thing if you want to have all of your health and fitness information in one app and, more importantly, avoids entering manual weight information and allows the smart scale to sync the info automatically with the Health app on your iPhone.
Apple Health scales are basically just smart scales that offer an app that integrates with the Apple Health app. So, basically, they are just Apple Health-compatible scales.
One word of caution: The body fat composition metric on the Smart Scales can be a little iffy for many lesser-known brands.
With that out of the way, let us move on with the reviews!
1: Withings Body+ – Best Overall
Out of all the scales on this list, the Withings Body+ may be one of the priciest ones, but it may also be the best.
It’s compatible with:
- Google fit
- Apple Health
- #1 SELLING SMART SCALE IN THE US
- FULL BODY COMPOSITION - Monitors weight (kg, lb, st), body fat & Water %, plus muscle & bone mass....
Just like most high-end smart scales, the Withings Body+ can keep measurements for up to 9 users while it can connect to your smartphone with both Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
This scale can track fat percentage, muscle, bones, and even water percentage in terms of stats. Not to mention it cal also track a baby’s weight independently in case you are pregnant.
While the scale comes with its small display to give you basic information, you can naturally also use the app to track everything – including a history/progress of all your metrics.
Speaking of the app, you can find it on both iOS and Android while it’s also Alexa compatible.
Do keep in mind that Withings has tons of other products too. Things like smartwatches, fitness trackers, and more. You can basically use the same app to gather info on tons of things like steps, heart-rate, and more. Otherwise, you can also rely on Apple Health to do the same with 3rd party smart options.
- Good build quality
- Its app is natively compatible with other smart products
- Tons of metrics with a pregnancy tracker (Or Baby Mode, as Withings calls it)
- Alexa compatibility is a welcome addition
- A bit pricey
2: RENPHO Scale – Best Value
Cheap scales that are good are hard to find. Cheap smart scales even more so. App development on its own is something that costs quite a lot. But as far as budget Apple Health-compatible scales are concerned, we’d say that RENPHO’s offering is one of the best – if not the best.
It works with:
- Apple Health
- Google Fit
- Samsung Health
- Renpho smart app works in connection with fitness apps. Easy setup app works with Samsung Health,...
- 13 essential body measurements. The scale shows body weight only. Other body composition data...
Don’t get fooled by the low price. RENPHO offers plenty of metrics. In many cases, even more than severely more expensive scales.
This includes fat percentage, water, muscle mass, bone mass, visceral fat, subcutaneous fat, and metabolic age.
Needless to say, you can use the app to track your progress over the last week, month, or year.
You can also use it to set goals, create unlimited user accounts for multiple family members, and more.
Unfortunately, RENPHO doesn’t have any smartwatches or fitness bands that we know of – which means that you won’t be able to build a smart RENPHO ecosystem even if you want to. Though the scale is compatible with Apple Health, you can connect it with any other Apple Health-compatible devices and have all your data in one place.
The only small downside of this scale is that it only works with Bluetooth. This may restrict you in terms of range – but it’s a small price to pay considering how much you get for less than $30.
- Relatively cheap
- Provides all the basic metrics that you’ll need and more
- Despite the low price, its app is compatible with both Apple Health and other alternatives
- No Wi-Fi
- No advanced features such as pregnancy tracking (Which is to be expected at this price point)
3: QardioBase2 – Our High-End Pick
Qardio is one of the most popular brands there. So, it’s no surprise that one of its smart scales is among our top picks. This is quite possibly the most expensive pick on our list, but it’s also the only one that offers many features.
You can use it with:
- Apple Health
- Samsung Health
- And Google Fit
- FULL BODY COMPOSITION: QardioBase2 measure your weight (lb, kg), calculates BMI and tracks changes...
- EASY SETUP: Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connected from a free Qardio app. Works on any surface, anywhere....
As you no doubt already expected, the QardioBase2 offers everything that its cheaper variants do and more. Fat percentage calculator, muscle mass, bone weight, support for multiple users, water percentage calculator, and anything else related to body composition.
Additionally, there is a large display and pregnancy tracking.
Needless to say that at this price point, you get both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Another small plus is the addition of a rechargeable battery. Instead of replacing AAA batteries, all you have to do is recharge the scale with a standard USB cable once per year, and that’s about it.
- The larger display and rechargeable battery are both welcome additions
- Compatible with Kindle (Also with iOS and Android, of course)
- Works with Alexa and Siri as well
- Just as expensive as the Withings Body Cardio (More about that down below)
4: Withings/Nokia Body Cardio – Best for Heart Rate Tracking
This is pretty much the Withings Body+, with the only difference that it also offers heart rate tracking and cardiovascular health monitoring. Just like with the cheaper variant, you can use this with:
- Google fit
- Apple Health
- Track progress - weight (kg, lb, st), weight trends, body fat & Water %, muscle & bone mass and...
- Superior design - only 0.7 of an inch high with a solid aluminum base and heat-tempered glass: works...
We didn’t pick this one as the best Apple Health scale since most of you will probably be using a smartwatch or smart band.
If you already have another device that supports heart rate monitoring, what’s the point in spending the extra money to have it on your scale?
Still, if money isn’t an issue or if you are not interested in buying another smart heart-rate monitoring device, Withings’ offering may be worth considering.
Also, unlike the cheaper variant, the Body Cardio comes with a rechargeable battery. A single charge can give you enough battery life for up to a year and, while this isn’t a huge deal, it’s a welcome addition nonetheless.
- Heart rate tracking
- The rechargeable battery is a welcome addition
- Integrates well with other Withings products
- One of the most expensive picks on this list
- Small display despite the large price
5: Etekcity – Best Budget Apple Health Scale
If you are on the lookout for a cheap Apple Health scale, this is definitely worth checking out. It comes with all the basic features you’ll ever need, and it works with both iOS and Android.
To be more specific, it’s compatible with:
- Apple Health
- Google Fit
- Samsung Health
- And Fitbit
- Full body composition analysis- Get 13 essential measurements including Weight, BMI, Body Fat,...
- User-friendly app-Free VeSync app syncs data with Apple Health, Google Fit, Fitbit and Samsung...
You can expect to find all the basic body composition metrics such as fat percentage, muscle percentage, bone density, and anything else related to it.
At this price point, you are obviously only going to get Bluetooth connectivity without Wi-Fi and AAA batteries instead of the rechargeable one that premium variants tend to offer.
The app also supports progress tracking to see your results over days, weeks, or months. Alternatively, you can also rely on Apple Health for that.
And that’s about all there is to it. Just a smart scale that offers all the basics that smart scales are supposed to offer.
- Cheapest offering on this list
- Offers all the “basic” body composition metrics such as fat percentage, water percentage, muscle, and more
- Probably the best value
- No Wi-Fi or rechargeable batteries (Which is to be expected at this price point
What Type of Scales Are Most Accurate?
Digital scales have generally proved to be more accurate than their analog counterparts – they don’t even have to be smart ones.
However, just because a scale is digital doesn’t also mean that it’s going to be accurate as well. It’s always worth paying attention to both user reviews and professional reviews.
Does the Withings Scale Work with Apple Health?
Yes. The Withings app can seamlessly integrate with the Apple Health app, and the same goes for all of our picks on this list.
Can Body Fat Scales be Wrong?
When it comes to just weight metrics, most scales are generally not going to deviate by a lot. However, things get more complicated when measuring body fat percentage and other things like that.
That is because scales send a weak electrical impulse through your body and then calculate your fat percentage depending on the current encounters’ level of resistance.
To do that, they also need a formula–and if the formula is not accurate–then the results are not going to be too accurate either.
According to our sources, even the most accurate readings were off by about 21%. Thus, yes, body fat scales can be wrong.
But, thankfully, you can still measure with decent accuracy how much your fat percentage is increasing or decreasing.
Are Smart Scales Worth it?
That’s a question for you to answer. If you want our opinion, the cheapest smart scales worth it come at just a bit more than 20 bucks – which is not much more expensive than a traditional scale. So, yes. We’d say they are worth it.
That’s all for now. If you have any more questions or recommendations, you can let us and everyone else know about them in the comments section below!
If you liked this article, please follow us on social media by using the social media buttons so that you won’t miss any new content.
Last update on 2021-04-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API