Rancho Cordova startup Smart Spinal Solutions Inc. has raised $450,000 to complete the product development of its smart wearable device, Lia, which helps with improving posture.
Lia uses artificial intelligence to train people to improve posture via their smartphones, working with a wearable device users put on their shoulders. Improving posture is a critical way to reduce back pain and strain.
- iPhone’s photo edit function helps with diagnosing unique cervical spine issues
- Improve your Heart Rate Variability (HRV) and overall wellness with yoga and fitness trackers
- Non Invasive Glucose Monitoring – new wearable player executing clinical trials
- Wearables and Body Temperature Monitoring – current products and what to expect in the future
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases using links in this post.
The modern office worker dilemma: poor posture and chronic back, neck, and shoulder pain
Poor posture forces you to overwork the muscles in your neck and back. Your immune system’s efforts to heal those muscles spur inflammation that — over time — can lead to arthritis in surrounding joints.
When you sit at your desk to work, you should hold your shoulders and arms at a 90-degree angle. Position your monitor straight ahead at eye level. Most people place it so they’re looking downward, and that can greatly increase neck strain.
A recent study that examined text neck — also called tech neck, a problem caused by constantly looking down at your phone or tablet — found that when you hold your head in line with your shoulders, it only weighs about 10 pounds.
“But for every inch, you tilt it forward, the amount of weight it places on your spine nearly doubles,”
That’s where a wearable like Lia comes in handy.
Lia can detect your bad posture and help you correct your posture via notifications on your smartphone. The wearable is compact, lightweight, and gently rests on your shoulder.
The company anticipates a $150 price for the Lia device along with an annual subscription to use the software and app.
Lia is not the first wearable product to hit the market. Here are some of the currently popular products available in this wearable category.
UprightPose Posture Correcting Wearable
Over the past few years, other wearables have been launched targeting this market.
UprightPose has a tiny wearable that you can attach to your back using a special adhesive. UPRIGHT devices are small, discreet, and won’t show under most clothes. The wearable communicates with your smartphone and guides good postures.
UPRIGHT GO 2™ has two modes: training and tracking. In training mode, your device will gently vibrate whenever you slouch.
- You can adjust the sensitivity and vibration in the app.
- Tracking mode turns off vibration alerts and keeps accurate stats on your posture throughout the day using enhanced, multi-sensor technology.
- The companion app for the wearable is available both on Android and iOS.
- Boost Your Health: Meet UPRIGHT GO 2 the simplest, fastest and most natural way to improve your...
- Stay Connected: Download the UPRIGHT GO app for iOS and Android and sync your device with your phone...
Lumo Lift, Wearable for Posture Management
With more than three thousand positive ratings on Amazon, Lumo Lift seems to be a favorite product for those exploring posture correction wearables.
Much like other products in this category,
- Lumo Lift is a wearable posture coach that helps you sit straighter, stand taller, and look better by buzzing when you slouch.
- Look Better, Feel Better, Be Better! Better posture helps you look better and feel more confident, reduces back and neck pain, and improves your mood & reduces stress.
Lumo Lift works and syncs wirelessly only with Bluetooth 4+ equipped smartphones operating iOS 11.3 or above or Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or above.
Minder by obvus Solutions
Minder is a wearable that works with your Apple Watch.minder turns your Apple Watch into a multi-point wearable to improve Healthy Posture, Mindful Breathing, and Purposeful Breaks.
You can wear the small gadget on a necklace or clip it to your Apple Watch. The gadget keeps track of your posture and communicates with the companion app on your iPhone.
Minder’s patented technology alerts you through visual, sound, and/or vibrating signals to help you mind your posture.
Real-time visual feedback shows when you are slouching in any direction and coaches you back to a healthy posture.
- Easily Track Progress and Make Changes: minder is a breathing coach, posture trainer and break...
- Customizable And Easy-To-Use: Transform your Apple Watch and iPhone conveniently and effortlessly...
Backpod for stretching the core working muscles
If you are exploring a less tech-oriented posture-correcting device, you can explore the various posture straps available.
But one of our favorite non-tech posture correction devices is the Backpod.
If you regularly experience neck pain, back pain, and stiffness from working too long on your computer, this device is worth looking into. Costing less than $70 will help you save money by reducing the number of chiropractor visits.
The Backpod is a Premium Treatment for Neck, Upper Back, and Headache Pain from Hunching over Smartphones and Computers.
- This is a great choice for Costochondritis, Thoracic Motion, and Perfect Posture.
- With close to 5-star reviews, this appears to be a popular option.
- It’s a basic cushion-type material that you use to stretch out your back.
- Original Backpod - The Backpod has helped thousands of people improve their posture and breathe...
- Costochondritis - Proven time and again to be effective for the direct, at home, treatment of...
As many of us now permanently or part-time work remotely from home, we may have been taking it easy when it comes to ergonomic standards.
Your home office chair may not be the best ergonomic model like your office’s furniture.
Using a posture corrector that is non-intrusive, lightweight, and communicates with your existing smartphone or Apple Watch, you will maintain a good posture and avoid physical stress.
We sometimes use affiliate links in our content from Amazon and others. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps us pay our expenses. Thank you for the support! Last update on 2023-01-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API