Taking your temperature used to be just when you or a family member felt a little unwell or when you visited your doctor’s office. These days, taking your temperature is routine at home and when you visit almost any place of business or commerce.
Given that we live in the age of technology, it seems natural to turn to our mobile devices to see if they can check our temperature or assist in checking our temperature.
Although iPhones and Android phones don’t natively have this capability (at least not yet), you can get a smart thermometer.
These smart thermometers go way beyond just reading temperatures by offering advanced features like apps, tracking temperature history, fever indicators, and more!
So let’s look at the best of the bunch, so you and your family stay healthy!
- 1 What do smart thermometers offer?
- 2 Smart thermometers for the whole family
- 3 iHealth Wireless No-Touch Thermometer
- 4 Smart thermometers for just infants
- 5 Smart thermometers for women tracking fertility
- 6 Summary
- How to check your skin and body temperature on your Apple Watch
- Best Apple Watch apps for tracking your period or ovulation
- Wearables and Body Temperature Monitoring – current products and what to expect in the future
- Pod Pro VS chiliSLEEP VS BedJet: cooling for a good night’s sleep
- Smart gear to help you measure your belly and body fat
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases using links in this post.
What do smart thermometers offer?
Smart thermometers work with apps on your iPhone or Android devices, providing near-instant readings that you can use to monitor the temperature and health of all of your family.
Some smart thermometer apps even have reminders for taking medications and can send the data you have collected to a medical professional.
A smart thermometer is essential during the times like the flu, especially the coronavirus pandemic, but it also has other important uses.
As well as monitoring your body’s temperature and indicating a fever (a temperature above 100.4 °F /38 °C in adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), a smart thermometer can track changes in your body when you’re fighting an infection or help to track ovulation cycles in women.
So which are the best smart thermometers for you and your family?
Well, it depends on which features appeal most to you, who uses the thermometer, and the main purpose for measuring body temperature.
Many factors may influence your thermometer purchase, such as:
- The type of thermometer technology you prefer (infra-red non-contact types versus contact to skin)
- How accurate do you need the thermometer to be
- The speed of reading that you require.
For smart thermometers, the app experience matters!
The app’s features should also influence your choice of a smart thermometer.
Look at the app’s description and user reviews first.
Think about what app features matter most to you, such as a fever alert (useful for kids and toddlers), the ability to record data, or if you want to connect to other health apps such as Apple Health, Google Fit, or Samsung Health.
Listed here are the best 10 smart thermometers for iPhone and Android users split into three categories (family, infant, and fertility), and we describe each smart thermometer’s main features.
Smart thermometers for the whole family
Wellue Non-Contact Forehead & Ear Infrared Thermometer
The Wellue thermometer is designed for all ages, including children, adults, and the elderly.
It is a non-contact ear and forehead infrared thermometer, so ideal for users who do not want to disturb their sleeping family members.
It has 4 functional modes (adult forehead, child forehead, ear, and object).
This smart thermometer can also measure the environment’s temperature and an object’s surface.
- FDA approved.
- A completely non-contact thermometer. Hold it a couple of inches from the forehead to take a temperature.
- Accuracy ±0.2°C /±0.4°F (Ear & Forehead mode) ±1.0°C / ±2.0°F (Object mode.)
- It can be easily switched between Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- It has a fever warning.
- The app allows you to track your temperature history, add detailed notes, and record your activities.
- Works with Bluetooth.
- The app, ViHealth, is compatible with iOS & Android.
- Does not sync with Apple Health, Google Fit, or Samsung Health.
- 🌞【New Thermometer for Adults and Kids】This non-contact smart thermometer is equipped with the...
- 🌞【4 Modes in 1 Baby Forehead Thermometer】Our 4-in-1 forehead and ear thermometer is designed...
KINSA smart ear and quick care smart digital thermometers
These Kinsa smart thermometers give near-instant readings and can be used by the whole family. The app provides personalized guidance based on age, fever, and symptoms.
This smart Quick Care thermometer is similar to the KINSA ear thermometer but can take oral, underarm, or rectal readings.
- FDA-approved for adults, children, and infants.
- Accurate and reliable temperature readings in 8 seconds or less.
- Temperature readings in °F or °C.
- You can log your symptoms for advice on staying home or going to the doctor.
- Able to add profiles and record history for the whole family.
- Ability to track your family’s medication dosages.
- App gives medication reminders.
- It has a Bubble game on the Kinsa app.
- Compatible with iOS and Android phones.
- Syncs with Apple Health.
- It can be used without the app.
- Clean the probe before and after each use.
- Some users report the temperature runs high, especially for newborns.
- ACCURATE, RELIABLE, FAST - FDA-cleared for safety & accuracy, the Kinsa QuickCare smart thermometer...
- VERSATILE DESIGN + COMFORTABLE, FLEXIBLE TIP - The stick-shaped thermometer can be used orally,...
Withings Thermo Smart Temporal Thermometer
This is a high-precision thermometer for the whole family and a no-contact thermometer.
It uses 16 highly sensitive infrared sensors to take 4000 measurements of the forehead to locate the hottest point.
- Quick and easy – Ultra-fast, almost instant measurement; when the measurement has been collected, the thermometer vibrates twice.
- Accurate within ±0.4°F (±0.2°C)
- Color-coded fever indicator LED display on the thermometer.
- Non-invasive measurement.
- Automatic Synchronization – Data from every measurement and health advice appears in the app (iOS and Android).
- The Health Mate app allows you to track readings and set reminders from your phone.
- Share with up to 8 family members, access their personal temperature histories, and even share that information with healthcare professionals.
- FSA-eligible without a prescription.
- Works with Apple Health.
Compatible with Android and iOS.
- Expensive compared to other smart thermometers.
- It works only if you download the app and create an account.
- It cannot be set up from a computer.
- HIGH PRECISION - FDA cleared, Thermo has 16 infrared sensors to provide a highly accurate result.
- QUICK & EASY - Ultra-fast measurement with color-coded fever indicator.
iHealth Wireless No-Touch Thermometer
The whole family can use this smart ear thermometer. It is easy to use and easy to sync with the iPhone. This thermometer can be used in the clinic and in household use.
- Reads body temperature without physical contact (within 1.18 inches of the center of the forehead.)
- Easy to use and accurate, it has single-button usage, providing a hassle-free user experience.
- Multi-user profile for up to memory for 5 people. Body temperatures can be stored and tracked.
- Quick data sync with iHealth MyVitals Health App.
- Syncs with Apple Health app.
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices.
- Can use it with or without the app.
- Some users report that its Bluetooth connectivity often doesn’t work.
- Not always available in stores or online
- Requires AAA batteries.
- ACCURATE & FAST RESULTS - Get accurate readings fast with the iHealth Wireless No-Touch Forehead...
- SMART FEATURES - Connect with the free iHealth MyVitals App (for iOS and Android) to track...
Smart thermometers for just infants
Sense-U Baby system
This is a wearable smart system that includes a thermometer that was designed specifically for infants that also notifies you when the environment levels go outside of preset zones feeling temperature.)
Rather than monitoring your baby’s body temperature, this system protects your baby from overheating or getting too cold due to the room’s temperature.
If you prefer to track your baby’s body temperature, you can switch the sensor’s position, so it tracks the skin temperature around the belly instead of the ambient temperature of the room or location.
Outside of temperature, this system also tracks your baby’s movement, sleeping positions, and any rollovers.
The wearable is secured to the diaper’s waistband, near the belly button.
- Tracks your baby’s abdominal movement, breathing, and temperature and sends alerts to your smartphone.
- It’s 100% waterproof and has a sealed battery compartment, so there is no risk of the battery leaking.
- Don’t have to charge it!
- Instant alerts and notifications if your baby’s skin or ambient temperature rises beyond the threshold.
- Track your baby from anywhere!
- Compatible with iOS & Android.
- Some users report connection problems using Bluetooth
- KNOW YOUR BABY IS OKAY ANYTIME, ANYWHERE: Along with a Base Station, the Sense-U Smart Baby Monitor...
- TRACKS YOUR BABY'S ABDOMINAL MOVEMENT WITH REAL-TIME ALERTS: Unlike traditional baby video cameras...
Smart thermometers for women tracking fertility
Tempdrop fertility and ovulation tracker
This system is designed to track your full fertility, including ovulation, using a unique armband. You can use this system for tracking birth control or for conceiving.
You wear the armband only at night during sleep and sync to their app the next morning. Tempdrop‘s sensor continuously monitors your basal body temperature while you sleep, so you don’t have to wake up at any specific time to check.
Just press the drop-shaped button to turn the Tempdrop sensor on, then put it on your upper arm and leave it on throughout the night!
The app has a free and paid premium version. The premium version automatically interprets your results.
The free version includes app syncing, temperature charts, symptom tracker, data backup, cycle history, and chart export for sharing.
The paid version additionally includes: sleep quality data, fertility window insights, ovulation day indicator, and automatic interpretation of temperature and cervical mucus.
- The app creates a chart and analysis of the data, providing you with a specific fertile window.
- Tracks multiple symptoms.
- Compatible with iOS & Android.
- High-rated customer support.
- $5 a month premium subscription fee to access all features (purchase includes 3 months free trial.)
- ALL-IN-ONE OVULATION TRACKING ✔️ Tempdrop’s wearable sensor and accompanying charting app...
- SLEEP IN, NO PROBLEM ✔️ Basal body temperature (BBT) is a major fertility indicator that allows...
Smart basal thermometer by Easy@Home
This is a smart oral thermometer, which has a flexible tip and water-resistant qualities. It is designed for tracking ovulation and predicting a fertility window.
- Gives a reading in 1.5-2 minutes.
- High level of accuracy, with a 0.05°C margin of error.
- All your records are stored in your account’s cloud.
- The device can chart your readings and detect spikes in your temperature.
- App uses your data and a built-in algorithm to determine a fertility window.
- Large display that’s easy to read.
- Compatible with iOS and Android.
- Some users have connectivity issues with Bluetooth.
- Difficult to reset.
- Requires the app to set up the first time.
- Readings take longer (1.5- 2minutes) than many other thermometers on the market.
- Loud beep when taking readings.
- ✅"Get Pregnant Easier than ever with Premom”: Easy@Home Newly Launched PremomAPP Integrated...
- ✅Seamless and Smart: Take a quick measurement early in the morning and fall back asleep. Basal...
Looking at all the different features that smart thermometers offer, you can now decide which thermometers fit your family’s needs.
If you have any more questions or anything to add, please let us and everyone else know about it in the comments section below!
If you liked this article, you can follow us on social media by using the social media buttons!
We sometimes use affiliate links in our content from Amazon and others. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps us pay our expenses. Thank you for the support! Last update on 2024-03-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API