Life is just simply better with pets in it, and keeping your pets healthy is crucial to a long and happy life. Of course, there are apps to track your pet’s health and wellness that may make it easier for you in the long run.
If you have more than one pet, you may find it especially challenging at times to manage all of their different appointments, medication reminders, food refill orders, etc.
This article looks at 5 of the best apps to track your pet’s health and wellness.
- Sensors and Apps for Fido – Best Pet GPS Activity and Μood Trackers
- 8 must have apps for every pet owner
- A smart dog bowl and a wearable for your pet. Why not?
- Is your dog an escape artist? Try Fi’s smart dog collar
- Best 3 smart collars for training your dog
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases using links in this post.
5 best apps to track your pet’s health and wellness: Quick list
Only have a few minutes? Take a glance at our top picks here.
- VitusVet: A best option to track and organize activities
- PupTox: Best medical app to check for poisons and toxins
- My Pet: Most well-rounded option for making a medical record/profile
- PitPat: Best exercise app
- Whistle: Best GPS option to keep tabs on your pet
If you’d like to come back for more info later on, we have provided a more detailed review of each app below.
5 of our favorite apps to track your pet’s health and wellness
As someone with five cats (yeah, I know), it takes a lot of effort to stay organized and informed about all of my cats’ different needs.
VitusVet helps to seamlessly keep your pets’ information in one easy place. It’s an excellent tool to log:
- Key health metrics
- Keep track of their medications
- Log microchip and pet insurance info
- Note allergies and medical alerts
- Set reminders for prescription or food refills
- Manage appointments (vet, groomers, etc.)
If your veterinarian is on board with the VitusVet platform, you can also directly request appointments and prescription refills.
VitusVet does the work, organization, and reminders so you can spend more quality time with your pet and less time stressing about their different needs.
Another great feature is the ability to add pet sitters or groomers to your account so that everyone can be in the know about your pet’s health and wellness.
The app has gotten thousands of exceptional reviews online and is currently free.
VitusVet supports both iOS and Android.
As most cats and dogs tend to be curious about everything, you may encounter a situation where your pet gets into something they shouldn’t.
Whether it’s a plant or a household product, my first thought is always, “Is it toxic??”
PupTox is a super simple but extremely helpful app with an inventory of over 250 items known to be toxic to cats and dogs.
Don’t let its outdated design dissuade you–this app is really useful for pet owners!
It also has a built-in chocolate toxicity calculator that considers your pet’s weight, the type of chocolate, and the amount of estimated chocolate consumed.
I hope I never have to use this, but I’m glad I know where I can go to find this information if ever warranted.
The app has an easy search option at the bottom of its screen, so you can search for any product you might be concerned about.
Though PupTox does not serve as a resource for first aid or other treatment, it may help determine if your pet needs medical attention based on the product or plant they may have consumed.
We all want nothing more than the best health and care for our furry friends, and this app can certainly assist with that.
PupTox is free and supports both iOS and Android devices.
3. My Pet
Look no further if you want a well-rounded, fully integrated medical I.D. for your pet!
The My Pet app has been deemed the #1 pet record maker where you and your vet can access all information regarding your pet’s health and wellness.
Here are some of My Pet’s most notable features:
- Medical incidents and assigned to a designated pet
- Specific medications and treatments
- Useful notes on your pet’s behaviors
- Lost or found pets via The Pet Rescue platform
- A comprehensive medical I.D. (vaccinations, deworming, clinic visits, diagnostic exams, additional treatments, etc.)
- Photo and video albums
- Document/files library
- Contacts regarding vets, trainers, groomers, etc.
- Notifications for appointments, medications, etc.
- Pedigree charts
- Body measurements (weight, height, length)
- Vitals (heart rate, temperature, insulin injections, etc.)
- Online alerts for FDA food recalls
The app also provides additional resources like locations of dog parks depending on where you are, growth maps, and general pet care tips (grooming, feeding, etc.).
If your vet is also a user of My Pet, you can easily share information by uploading it via the My Pet cloud.
The app costs $2.99, but for the expansive content that comes with it, we think it’s more than worth the price.
The My Pet app currently supports iOS devices.
The PitPat app is the ultimate exercise tracker for your pet. It’s geared primarily towards dogs wearing a collar, but hey, my dad walks his cat every day, so this isn’t totally exclusive to cats!
The app itself is free, but it does require the PitPat collar, which can pair with the app. The collar costs around $39, but if tracking your pet’s health and fitness is super important to you, it’s not too unreasonable of a purchase.
- Keep your dog healthy and have fun together. Designed with vets. Works with easy-to-use app.
- Accurately measures and displays daily dog exercise and rest, distance and calories. Manages weight.
PitPat ensures that their tracker is small and lightweight, so your dog (or cat) won’t even know it’s there.
Essentially, it works that once you pair the PitPat collar with the app on your phone, you’ll be able to monitor all forms of exercise and activity your pet does throughout the day.
You’ll see things such as minutes of walking, running, playing, and resting. You’ll also get insights into distances traveled and calories burned.
In addition to exercise and activity, you can keep tabs on your dog’s weight by selecting an “ideal weight” and recording weigh-ins as they progress towards that goal.
They also have a summary feature that will show activity over time. Whether a week or a month, you’ll know how much exercise (and rest) your pet is getting each day.
PitPat is available for both iOS and Android devices.
Whistle has become an increasingly popular app with rave reviews online for its excellent health and GPS tracking qualities.
The Whistle app works by connecting to a health and GPS tracker (some models.)
There are varying levels of trackers available, depending if you want to spend only $49 or go up to $180 with an included collar.
- Health Monitoring. Catch potential health issues before they become problems. Proactive alerts for...
- Fitness Features. Set fitness goals based on breed, age, and weight. Achieve fitness goals by...
The choice is yours, and it’s nice to have options based on your budget.
- Whistle Health tracks these behaviors so you can see what’s normal for your pup and get alerted...
- Scratching: one of the strongest indicators of skin infections or allergies. Licking: can indicate...
What you’ll get from the newest health features includes monitoring eating, drinking, sleeping, and even scratching and licking!
By monitoring these patterns, you may be alerted to a condition that could easily be treated but may have gone unnoticed otherwise without these alerts.
The GPS features for Whistle are second to none. Where most other tracking devices have a set radius where they can track, Whistle is unlimited to anywhere within the United States. That’s pretty amazing!
That means if you live in Seattle and leave for a business trip to New York, you’ll still be able to monitor your dog’s every move and activity thanks to Whistle’s impressive GPS.
Within the app, you can also set “safe place” boundaries for your pet. It could be your yard or even your neighborhood. If your dog goes outside those boundaries, you’ll immediately be notified via an “escape alert.”
Whistle is one of our favorite apps for tracking your pet’s health and wellness (and whereabouts). It is currently available for iOS users.
Pet owners will do about anything they can for their furry loved ones. Keeping tabs on their overall health and wellness is crucial to a long and happy life.
With this article, we hope you found an app or two that you’d like to start using to track your pet’s health and wellness for years to come.
We sometimes use affiliate links in our content from Amazon and others. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps us pay our expenses. Thank you for the support! Last update on 2023-05-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API