Your Peloton Bike is a significant investment of time and money, and one would expect it to function without any major hiccups. Unfortunately, with most electronics today, things don’t go as expected, particularly following software updates to the device.
If your Peloton Bike is showing random freezing display issues, resistance doesn’t feel right after a calibration effort, or you are experiencing ongoing Wi-Fi-related issues with your stationary Bike or Treadmill, the easiest thing you can do is to clear the cache on your Peloton equipment.
Yes, you heard that right! Much like your internet browsers, the Peloton equipment also has a built-in storage cache that can be cleared using the settings and help with simple troubleshooting.
Here’s how you can get it done.
- Peloton Metrics missing on Apple Watch Peloton app? Try these tips
- Peloton: The best Power Tray Tables for your Indoor Trainer
- How to Use Peloton and AirPods Together
- Ultimate guide to buying a used Peloton Bike
How to clear the cache on your Peloton Bike
Start the process by putting the bike into Recovery Mode. Use the volume buttons next to navigate to get to the option to clear your cache partition and follow that with a complete reboot.
- Start by holding the power button on top and selecting Shutdown from your screen to Power off.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button and the power button until the Peloton logo appears on your touch screen, at which point you can let go. This puts your touchscreen in Recovery Mode (Android System Recovery.)
- Use the volume buttons on the side of the touchscreen to navigate to wipe cache partition and use the power button to select it.
- If you don’t see these options, your software doesn’t support them. In that case, try a factory reset.
- Once the partition has been cleared, select reboot system now.
Clearing Peloton cache using storage
If you had challenges with the steps above, you can also try clearing the cache using the storage method.
- Tap the three dots on the bottom right corner of the screen and choose ‘Device settings.’
- Press on ‘Apps‘ and then go to ‘Peloton.’
- Press’ Storage‘, and you can clear the cache from there.
There is one additional element to clearing the cache. This is particularly helpful if you are trying to start up your bike after re-calibration.
Following any calibration on your Peloton, go to Device settings > Storage > Cached storage > Clear cached storage.
Next, turn off the bike, unplug for 10-15 seconds, and try it again.
We have found that this unplugging exercise is important following clearing the cache, so do not overlook it.
Golden Rule when solving issues on your Peloton
Most users agree with this rule when trying to solve weird issues with the Peloton equipment. Simply power off the device and remove the power cord from the outlet and any other wired connections.
Give it 5 minutes, and then re-connect everything and start. This simple process often helps fix many unsolvable issues with most electronics.
How to factory reset your Peloton tablet
When you factory reset your Peloton, it restores your Peloton Guide to its original factory settings and erases all data, including your membership details.
- On your touchscreen, select Settings.
- Choose System > Factory Reset.
- For older models, open Settings > Personal > Backup & reset.
- Choose Factory data reset and then Reset tablet.
- Confirm and tap Erase everything.
- Once reset, activate it again to use the Peloton Guide. You also need to reset your Peloton Guide remote by removing its batteries for at least 15 seconds., then re-pair it.
If you can’t get to the Settings app, follow the steps to reset the cache but choose Factory reset instead of Wipe cache partition in the Recovery menu.
Is the Peloton app unable to sync activity into Apple Watch?
This problem is associated more with the app software than storage or restoring the Peloton Bike. If you are facing this issue, here is what you can do:
- Delete the Peloton app / Uninstall the app from your iPhone.
- Reset your iPhone and then restart the device.
- Re-install the Peloton app.
- Re-enable Apple Health Settings on the Peloton app.
For most users facing this sync issue, the above sequence works for the most part. Give it a shot if you are stuck with problems syncing between the Peloton app and Apple Health.
For more information, see this article: Peloton Metrics missing on Apple Watch Peloton app? Try these tips
We hope this helped you fix annoying issues on your Peloton Bike.
If clearing the cache didn’t work, you can try a factory reset if you feel comfortable doing so. Or you can contact the friendly folks at OnePeloton customer support to help you with your issue if a simple factory reset or clearing cache did not solve your problem.
Before you contact support, know your bike’s model and current software version. Write down any troubleshooting you already tried, such as restarting, clearing the cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and anything else.