Vibrating alarms on your Apple Watch are silent, making them ideal for people who live in shared accommodations or who work in quiet environments. They are also a good option for people with hearing impairments, as they can still be woken up by the vibration.
If you are an Apple Watch user who tracks his /her sleep using the Apple Watch, a vibrating alarm is the way to go. Vibrating alarm watches are a great way to wake up without disturbing your partner.
You can set the alarm to vibrate gently on your wrist so you can wake up without waking up your partner.
You can set your Apple Watch alarm to vibrate instead of ringing with a few easy steps.
This article covers the essentials of configuring vibrating alarms using your Apple Watch and iPhone.
Turn on the Silent Mode on your Apple Watch
- The Silent Mode on the Apple Watch – This is the easiest way to set up a silent alarm on your watch, but it does silence all the watch sounds. You can put the watch on Silent mode using the control center.
- Press the side button on your Apple Watch to access the control center (in watchOS 10)
- Tap on the Apple Watch silent mode or the bell icon. The icon turns red when you tap on it, showing a strikethrough indicating that your Apple Watch is in silent mode.
- Exiting Silent mode on your Apple Watch is easy. Simply access the control center and toggle the silent mode
Please note that the Silent mode will not silence alarms and timers when charging your Apple Watch.
Use Siri to set up a vibrating alarm on your Apple Watch
You can also use Siri to set a vibrating alarm on your Apple Watch. Start Siri on your Apple Watch and say, “Set a silent alarm for 7 a.m.” Siri will then create a new alarm with the sound set to None.
Use the clock app on your iPhone
- Open the clock app on your iPhone
- Tap on the Alarms tab at the bottom
- To create a new alarm, tap on the ‘+’ sign at the top right corner of the screen
- Tap on an existing alarm
- On the Edit Alarm screen, tap on Sound
- Select the type of Haptics for the alarm
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and tap on ‘None’
- Once you have made the change, tap on Save and exit the edit alarm screen
Open the watch app on your iPhone and tap on the My Watch tab at the bottom.
- Tap on Clock
- Make sure to enable ‘Push alerts from iPhone’ here
Using Silent Alarms with Sleep Focus on your Apple Watch
When using your Apple Watch to monitor your sleep, you can set up the wake-up alarm behavior and set it to vibrate instead of ring.
- How to track your sleep using Apple Watch or iPhone using third-party apps
- How to track your sleep stages with Apple Watch
In order to do this, open the watch app on your iPhone and tap on Sleep.
- Tap on Focus and select Sleep Focus
- Next, tap on the Wake up section
- Under the section ‘Full Schedule’, tap on Schedule and Options
- Edit the ‘Full Schedule’ by tapping on it
- Scroll down to the section under Alarm Options on this screen
- Tap on Sound and Haptics and customize it here
Now the next time you wear your Apple watch to bed and enable Sleep focus, the wake-up alarm that you set up here will activate on your Apple Watch.
If you have additional questions on your Apple Watch alarms, please check out our troubleshooting guide here.
Please let us know if you have any questions or comments. In our experience, the best way to set up the silent alarm is to use Siri on your Apple Watch and request it to create a ‘silent alarm’ on your Apple Watch.