If you want to relieve your pain without taking prescribed medicines, then wearables with apps such as a wireless TENS device may be a good option to relieve your pain.
Several wireless electrotherapy devices are available that use various technologies such as TENS, EMS, and microcurrent massage therapy.
I often recommend these wearables to my physiotherapy clients as they are a drug-free alternative to relieve and block chronic pain caused by arthritis or back problems.
Some of our showcased devices even include advanced muscle intelligence technology (MI), which allows the device to adapt the electrical stimulation therapy to each muscle.
Wearable devices suit a range of needs, such as multifunctional devices that can treat multiple areas of the body and devices designed for specific areas such as the lower back.
Remember to talk to your doctor, healthcare team, or physiotherapist to ensure that these types of devices are safe for you to use for your unique pain.
Here are 7 devices that use a variety of electrical-based technology to relieve pain and include apps
- Quell 2.0 (Wearable band)
- Compex Mini
- Compex Fit 5.0 &Compex SP 8.0
- Omron Avail TENS
- Top 6 smart massage guns and tools with apps that help muscle recovery
- Best Smart Tape measures for your health and fitness goals
- Best free exercise apps to strengthen and help relieve pain
Quell 2.0 Wearable Pain Relief Technology
This device is designed to relieve chronic leg, foot, and knee pain.
You insert the device into the included band, the electrode snaps into the band and then, you wrap the band around your calf.
It can be used during the day while active and also at night while sleeping.
You can return this product within 60 days for a full refund.
You get the following with Quell purchase
- A wireless & wearable band.
- 1 month supply of electrodes.
- Lithium-ion batteries.
- 1 device charger.
Quell app’s features
- Control settings within the App.
- Customize therapy with App.
- Adjust intensity level.
- Measure progress.
- Treatment reminders.
- Review health insights, including pain, sleep, activity, and gait.
Compatible with iOS & Android. There’s even an app for your Apple Watch!
- Advanced prescription strength TENS, now even works with your Apple Watch
- Relieves chronic leg, foot and knee pain
Looking for a TENS unit with no wires?
Dump those wires and even the handheld unit with Compex’s Mini wireless device!
The Mini uses your paired phone and the Compex Mini app to control it, so you don’t need to carry around another device.
Compex Mini features
- 2 wireless pods (1 master pod and 1 slave pod) to target more than one muscle group at a time.
- Use the app to access and control 6 different programs, including prewarm up, recovery, relaxation, and pain management.
- Rechargeable battery that lasts up to 7 hours (recharge using the included USB Charging Cable.)
- FDA-510(k) cleared electric muscle stim device.
- Included carrying case for portability.
- A 2-year warranty that you can upgrade to 3 years when you register your device.
Compex Mini app features
- The app controls the unit, no need for an additional device.
- Simple app design that’s easy to use with intuitive menu options to select your training program, review your log, learn how to best place your pads, and update your personal profile.
- 6 preset programs for prewarm up, endurance, resistance, recovery (training and active recovery), muscle relaxation, and pain management.
- Adjust intensity and timing of each program.
- App automatically tracks your training progress in the training log. Easily view the duration and intensity of your training sessions.
- App Compatible with iOS and Android.
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY - Rechargeable battery can deliver up to seven hours of use per charge
- SIX PROGRAMS - Six unique programs to help you achieve your fitness goals
Compex Fit, Wireless USA 2.0, & Compex SP 8.0
Compex units are multi-use devices used for muscle stimulation, pain management, massage, and rehabilitation.
Both the Fit 5.0 and Wireless USA 2.0 are wireless, offering a handheld control unit.
There are pairs of devices called modules attached to electrodes and each other with a wire.
One pair treats one area, for example, a calf muscle. So if you want to treat both calf muscles, you need 4 modules.
The Fit device is equipped with unique muscle intelligence technology (MI). Currently, this technology is not available on models sold specifically for the US.
The modules adapt to each of your muscles to provide the most effective muscle stimulation while offering greater comfort and better performance.
There is a Compex Coach App, but the app does not control the device. Instead, it’s a coaching app designed to help you plan your training, send you reminders, and share your session with others.
The standard Fit 5.0 comes with 2 stimulation modules, with the option to add on additional modules, while the Wireless 2.0 comes with 4 wireless pods with options to upgrade to additional pods.
Compex Fit and Wireless 2.0 features
- Wireless Electrode Pods.
- Fit 5.0 features personalized muscle scanning Mi technology: MI Scan, Mi-range on all channels (not available on Wireless 2.0 USA.)
- Ability to connect to the internet and, if desired, upload your history.
- Multi-use -Fitness, Pain management, Recovery / Massage, rehabilitation.
- 2 Channels.
- Rechargeable battery that lasts up to 20 hours and fully charges in less than 5 hours.
- Wireless 2.0 is an FDA 510(k) cleared wireless device.
- 3 Year Warranty when you register your product (2 years without registration.)
Compex Coach App Features
- The app does not control the device but is there to help you manage your session.
- Fitness plans include preparing for a marathon, triathlon, or cycling race or improving strength.
- Treatment plans, e.g., for back pain or tendinopathy, and education explaining how muscle stimulation works.
- Instructions for correct electrode placements and positioning on the body according to the selected program.
- Performance tracking with Workload Score.
- Provides full details of each Compex program (description, usages, effects, stimulation intensity, electrode placements).
- App Compatible with iOS and Android.
- TENS PAIN MANAGEMENT - The Compex TENS program helps to decrease the intensity of pain and increase...
- INCLUDES 10 PROGRAMS (4 Strength, 2 Warmup, 3 Recovery, 1 TENS) - Features 10 essential...
Want the best? Look no further than the Compex Sport (SP) 8.0–the top wireless product in the Compex product line
This advanced model includes a new auto range muscle intelligence (MI) feature and more programs than other Compex models.
The biggest feature of the SP 8.0 is its broad muscle-intelligence technology that scans your muscles before your session and automatically personalizes your stimulation to address imbalances like fatigue, injury, dehydration, and others.
Like other models, the Compex 8.0 works with the Compex App, but the app does not control your device.
Additional Compex SP 8.0 features
- MI-scan, MI-range on the 4 modules.
- 40 programs for multi-use Fitness, Pain management, Recovery / Massage, Rehabilitation
- 4 Channels.
- Rechargeable battery that fully charges in less than 2 hours.
- The ultimate workout tool for professional athletes
- A professional muscle contracting system that mimics the electrical impulses
WiTouch is a Bluetooth wireless TENS device designed for back pain.
It works with the free WiTouch Pro app that controls the device. The device also operates without the App.
It comes with 3 pairs of reusable gel pads and a user guide for quick and easy setup.
The WiTouch is shaped with two wings that contain the electrodes and pads with the device sitting between the wings.
It is shaped specifically to fit the curves of the lower back.
- 4 Treatment Programs.
- 15 Intensity Levels.
- 2 AAA Batteries Required (included).
- 120 30-minute treatment sessions with 2 batteries.
App features for WiTouch
- Personalize your pain relief program.
- Control the level of therapy intensity.
- Track the status of your current therapy session and your treatment history.
- Provide statistics on treatment programs used and treatment time.
- Check the battery life of your WiTouch.
- Access the user manual.
- Order your replacement gel pads.
- The app is compatible with iOS and Android.
- Drug-free relief and management of chronic and acute back pain, sciatica and arthritis; features 4...
- Measuring 7.5 inches (19 cm) in width and 3.5 inches (9 cm) in height, the WiTouch Pro has the...
OMRON Avail TENS
This device is a similar shape to WiTouch. It has two soft, contoured wings with electrode pads and a central device.
Omron’s Avail also a wireless Bluetooth TENS device with microcurrent massage designed for use on the lower back and arm, leg, and shoulder.
It has independent, dual channels that allow you to treat two different body areas simultaneously.
The free Omron TENS app can be used to control the device.
OMRON Avail features
- 6 pre-set modes.
- 5 massage modes.
- 20 adjustable intensity levels.
- Treatment for multiple body pain locations.
- Pads can be reused up to 30 times and washable up to 10 times.
- Rechargeable batteries that can last up to 500 uses.
App features for OMRON Avail
- Adjust mode massage (steady, knead, tap, acupuncture-like)/Microcurrent (extremely small electrical currents).
- Adjust Intensity Levels.
- Track your pain history with a diary feature.
- The app is compatible with iOS or Android.
- TENS TECHNOLOGY AND MICROCURRENT THERAPY: For the symptomatic relief of chronic, acute and arthritis...
- INDEPENDENT, DUAL CHANNEL TREATMENT: Allows you to target 2 different body pain areas at the same...
1byone: our bargain pick!
The 1byone Wireless TENS Unit relieves pain using TENS and muscle stimulation (EMS).
This device is small and easy to use. Plus, you can use this unit completely wirelessly.
With the wireless pad, you place a single electrode pad onto the skin, and the TENS device snaps onto the pad with strong magnets.
It’s small enough to fit into your bag or pocket easily. It is controlled with the 1byone health app.
You can use the device with either traditional wired TENS pads or its unique wireless TENS pad.
- Wireless and Bluetooth-Enabled (1 wireless pad) with optional wired mode too.
- Small, lightweight, and compact with easy-to-use snap-on technology. Comes with a convenient and portable carrying case.
- Pre Programmed EMS & TENS Modes with Multi Modes Combinations.
- 20 Intensity Levels.
- 2 Channels.
- 20 hours of battery life and USB fast charging.
- Auto Shut Off and Long Standby.
- FDA 510K cleared device.
- Warranty Registration gets you a free 24 months extended warranty.
1byone health app features
- Control the mode and intensity.
- Adjust the timer (5-60 minutes).
- Sync with Apple Health and Fitbit.
- Compatible with Android and iOS.
- New TENS Unit with Magnetic Design: This is an excellent TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator which can be...
- Wireless and Bluetooth-Enabled TENS Massager: This TENS Machine can be paired with 1byone health app...
If your pain is due to slouching, sitting, or standing in odd positions or poor neck posture, this device may eliminate your pain.
The UprightGo 2 app provides a step-by-step tutorial for posture training sing the device and helps you track your progress.
Upright go 2 is an inexpensive solution to correct and prevent poor posture.
It attaches to your upper back between the shoulder blades.
The device vibrates when you slouch, reminding you to correct your posture.
UprightGo 2 features
- 2 modes tracking & training
- Customized vibration
- Lithium-ion battery, charger, and case included.
UprightGo 2’s app features
- Tutorials to guide you.
- Daily statistics and progress tracking.
- Live monitoring of your posture status using an animated character.
- Access to a responsive in-app customer care team.
- Personalized training plan with recommended daily training time.
- Daily training goals.
- Compatible with Android and iOS.
- Boost Your Health: Meet UPRIGHT GO 2 the simplest, fastest and most natural way to improve your...
- Stay Connected: Download the UPRIGHT GO app for iOS and Android and sync your device with your phone...
I hope you enjoyed this article, and it has helped you choose a wearable device with an App to help you relieve your pain. Again, please reach out to your healthcare team before you use any of these or similar devices.
The information I provide in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and not intended as health or medical advice. So please reach out and consult with your healthcare provider regarding your specific medical conditions and health.
If you have any more questions or you have anything else to add, please feel free to let us know about it by sharing your comments in the comments section down below!
If you liked this article, you can follow us on social media by using the social media buttons!
Frequently asked questions
What is TENS?
TENS, or Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, is a pain treatment that uses low voltage electric current to block pain signals to the brain.
Scientific theory suggests that TENS technology blocks the pain signal from reaching the brain, increases blood circulation to targeted areas, and stimulates your body’s natural painkillers.
The impulses are generated by a device and delivered through electrodes (pads that adhere to the skin) placed around your pain area.
What is EMS?
Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) is a type of electrotherapy that stimulates a muscle contraction using electrical impulses to strengthen weak muscles, reduce swelling, relieve pain, and heal wounds.
EMS uses high intensities of electrical stimulation that cause excitation of peripheral nerves to produce a muscle contraction.
The impulses are generated by a device and delivered through electrodes (pads that adhere to the skin) over the middle of the muscles that require stimulation.
EMS’s impulses mimic the action potential (stimulus required to make the muscle contract) from the central nervous system.
This causes the muscles to contract.
What is Microcurrent massage?
Microcurrent therapy is approved in the category of TENS devices by the FDA.
TENS devices deliver milliamp current and block pain messages which are trying to get to the brain.
Microcurrent delivers sub-sensory micro amperage current, 1000 times less than milli-amperage current.
It has been shown in published studies to increase ATP production in tissues and reduce pain.
Last update on 2021-06-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API