There are some great massage devices now available with companion apps that can help you get the most from your home massage treatments.
The companion apps offer various features, such as instructional videos for treating different body parts, massage treatments for specific injuries, and post-workout treatments for various sports.
Different smart massage devices, such as massage guns, treat the whole body and are designed for specific body parts.
In particular, mass guns are time-effective because they produce a large amount of force, which means that you only need a few minutes to treat a large muscle group effectively.
A smart massage device is a great home therapy, but if you have undiagnosed pain, always consult with a trained professional therapist before using your massage tool.
- 1 In a hurry?
- 2 1. Theragun
- 3 2. MuscleGun
- 4 3. Breo WOWOS Hand Massager
- 5 4. Breo iNeck3 Pro Electric Neck Massager
- 6 5. WAVE5 Multi-tool
- 7 6. Smart Massage Balls
- 8 Summary
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- Smart vibrating foam rollers buying guide: Everything you need to know this year
- Stressed out? Try one of these wearables for stress detection and management
- Monitor your injury recovery and mobility using your iPhone
- Our gift guide for the tech-obsessed cyclist
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases using links in this post.
In a hurry?
For those that want our recommendations without getting all the details, here are our top smart massage tools that help you improve your muscle recovery and overall health and wellness.
- Theragun Elite.
- Musclegun Carbon.
- Breo WOWOS Hand Massager.
- Breo iNeck3 Pro Neck Massager.
- WAVE5 Multi-tool.
- Massage Balls like the Theragun Wave Solo.
Theragun is the gold standard of percussive massage therapy and is also one of the quietest massage guns on the market.
Use your Theragun after a workout for muscle recovery and soothe any pain or discomfort. Or use it anytime to release any built-up stress and tension.
All of these devices work with the Therabody App.
The Therabody app
Theragun’s Therabody app offers a library of routines based on your activities, injuries, and ailments.
- Customizable speed range and force monitor via the Therabody app.
- App library of routines for specific injuries or body parts and post-workout recovery, such as lower body routine for running.
- Animated diagram instructions with timer.
- Ability to save your favorite routines.
- Ability to personalize routines.
- The app works with Apple Health and Google Fit, and Samsung Health.
The app learns from your behaviors and preferences and suggests additional body areas that helps treat the muscle groups you’re focused on, along with attachment and grip recommendations.
This product has a 2-Year Warranty and a 90-Day Money-Back guarantee.
- 120-minute battery life for up to 2 hours of continuous use.
- Force and speed control between 1750-2400 percussions per minute.
- Ergonomic multi-grip – provides several ways to hold the device without strain on hands and arms comfortably.
- QuietForce Technology-as quiet as an electric toothbrush.
- Smart app integration – connects to the app via Bluetooth.
- Smarter and Quieter: Theragun PRO is the ultimate deep tissue personal massager for recovery and...
- Ergonomic Design with Patented Triangle Handle: Handheld massager with flexible positioning for...
MuscleGun also has a range of massage guns, such as Musclegun Carbon, Go-mini, and x2.0, which all work with the Deep app.
The Deep app
The Deep app by MuscleGun gives guided exercises and focuses techniques by using voice-guided commands. Plus, you better understand your musculoskeletal system and how you can use your MuscleGun to stay healthy!
- Self-guided massage with routines for different body areas, such as the neck, shoulders, arms, and back.
- Options of muscle recovery routines.
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch requires iOS 11.3 or later.
This product has a 2-Year Warranty and a 90-Day Money-Back guarantee.
- 4 -5.5 hour battery life depending on the model.
- 3-9 speed settings depending on the model.
- 1400-3400 percussions per minute, depending on the model.
- Ultra Quiet Noise Reduction Technology.
Purchase the MuscleGun directly from the manufacturer for the best deals!
3. Breo WOWOS Hand Massager
This massage device combines air pressure and heat to treat the entire hand, stimulates palm acupoints, and helps with finger numbness, palm arthritis, and pain.
Reflexology massage is applied by rhythmical inflation and deflation of the device to 36 areas of the hand, similar to Asian acupressure techniques and meridians and collaterals’ principles.
So be careful. The device is designed for users who want to stimulate those acupoints with intense pressure in a consistent rhythm.
The WOWOS features a heating option that uses thermal power to warm up your cold, stiff joints to improve issues like poor circulation as well as relief from the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
The Breo app for WOWOS Hand Massager
This Breo pairs with the Breo mobile app, which is not only remote control for your device but also aids in getting accurate point-to-point stimulation of your hand’s acupuncture points.
- Customizable mode with the app.
- App control of mode, speed, duration, and spot massage.
- The app is compatible with Android, iPhone, or iPad.
Additionally, the Breo app allows users to change the timing and customize what massage mode they want for each hand.
This product has a 100% money-back guarantee within 30 days for any issues and a 12-month warranty.
- 5 massaging modes.
- 3 different intensities.
- Low noise.
- Heating Function.
- The WOWOS combines pressure and heat technology to relax the acupoints with a waving rhythm....
- Reflexology massage is applied pressure to the 36 reflective areas of the palm through a rhythmic...
4. Breo iNeck3 Pro Electric Neck Massager
Not only does Breo offer a smart massager for your hands, but the company also has a cordless massager for your neck!
The Breo neck massager is a good option for neck massage if you do not want or cannot hold a massage gun.
This massage device fits comfortably around your neck with C-shaped neck support, providing your head and neck with support and leaving your hands free.
And that 270-degree C-shape construction allows this neck massager to reach about 50% more than most neck massagers. Plus, you can also add heat to increase relief!
The iNeck3 follows Shiatsu neck stimulation techniques (acupressure) by kneading, pressing, and massaging to relax your cervical vertebrae and stimulate blood circulation.
Acupressure helps remove lactic acid build-up from your neck and relieves any tension or stress, including aches, pains, and knots.
The Breo app for the iNeck3 Pro Electric Neck Massager
You can adjust and customize your massage settings in real-time using the Breo app.
- App control of mode, speed, duration, and spot massage.
- The app is compatible with Android devices, iPhones, or iPad.
Adjust settings like speed or add healing infrared heat and even customize a different setting for each side of your neck!
Using the app also allows you to control the iNeck3’s pressure and intensity.
This product also has a 100% money-back guarantee within 30 days for any issues and a 12-month warranty.
- Portable and hands-free.
- Easy to use- on/off button and a mode selection and program setting button.
- 10 minutes auto-off.
- 3 different massage modes -deep tissue, kneading, and friction massage.
- Heat therapy option using infrared technology.
- Low noise of 30-45 dB when using.
- Ergonomic U-shape Design for Enjoyable Neck Massage – With the 270° U-shape design, Breo iNeck3...
- 3 Massage Modes for Real Human Hands Massage Experience – Breo iNeck3 Pro cervical massager mimics...
Breo also offers a cordless and inflatable model, the Breo iNeck air2, that’s ultra-light and portable for travel, including on an Airplane!
Includes a rechargeable battery built-in–charge up via USB.
The iNeck air2 offers 2 modes to use with or without heat or massage. And it’s simple to control, with the touch of just two buttons.
And when not using the massage or heat mode, you can use it as a neck pillow.
When not in use, you can compress the iNeck Air2 to 1/3 of its original size for portability, even on the go.
- RECOVERY REST: 2 pairs of massage nodes working in clockwise / counter-clockwise rotation, target...
- TRAVEL WISELY: The iNeck air2 travel pillow adapts to the contours of your neck, allowing good head...
5. WAVE5 Multi-tool
Are you sitting at your computer all day and now experiencing lower back pain? Then check out the Waves5 tool!
This deep tissue and soft tissue trigger point myofascial release tool is a great value non-electrical option.
It is a textured ball designed to mimic a physical therapist’s hands that you use in the comfort of your own home as a self-massage tool.
The ball divides into 5 different shapes for multipurpose use, such as a massage ball, and large and small foam rollers.
Designed to be used for deep tissue massage, trigger point massage, and myofascial release.
If you are looking to improve mobility and live pain-free, the Wave5 is built for you!
Wave5 is especially useful for people who sit a lot for work or pleasure and counteract the negative effects of sitting for extended periods.
- Uses self-applied pressure for personalized comfort.
- Reduces the tension that accumulates from sitting.
- Unlocks tissues, helping you move freely again.
- It helps to hydrate your muscles.
With the WAVE5 System, you’ll be able to reverse the dangerous effects of sitting and feel your best every single day.
By targeting connective tissue and applying individualized pressure to pull fluid into dry tissue, the WAVE5 helps your muscles hydrate and rediscover their natural balance.
The Wave5 Compass app
Each purchase includes a free one-year subscription to the Waves mobile app, which helps you target your problem areas.
- Free 1-year subscription to the mobile app.
- App offers expert-led muscle and joint care videos.
- App targets over 25 body regions.
- Able to customize the path around your body to reduce aches and pains.
- Provides tutorials on self-care techniques.
- Gives post-session recommendations on where to target next.
- Stores history of user muscle hydration.
- Compatible with Android, IOS, and Mac.
This easy-to-use app includes tutorial videos and guides so you can target your personalized pain.
And once you finish your session, the app offers post-session recommendations to continue your self-muscle care and where to target next time.
It is made of high-density rubber/plastic that can withstand over 1200 pounds of pressure.
- 5 tools interlock into one device- a mobility ball, two stability domes, and large and small rollers.
- FREE YOUR BODY: Relieve pain, restore balance and add strength to muscles on-demand.
- BUILT TO LAST: No foam. Our high-density rubber/plastic is comparable to a car tire.
6. Smart Massage Balls
A smart massage ball, like Theragun’s Wave Solo Massager or the Wellround system, helps relieve muscle tension and pain.
Similar to a foam roller, a massage ball helps release tension in painful or aching muscles!
These massage balls with apps are great options for trigger point massage, myofascial release, and improving your overall muscle tightness.
Plus, a smart massage ball system is a great budget option device!
The ball is a firm rubber textured massage ball that you use in the privacy of your own home for self-care.
And it’s a great option for plantar fasciitis, piriformis release, back or neck muscle release from too much sitting, sprain, or soreness from heavy work.
The app includes videos showing you how to use the ball on the neck, back, shoulder blades, chest, glutes, quads, hamstrings, ITB, calf & foot.
Theragun Wave Solo Massager
Theragun’s Wave Solo massage ball is an affordable option for folks that don’t need to power of a massage gun.
The Wave Solo is similar to a traditional lacrosse ball massage but uses 3 different levels of vibration to dampen any pain caused by digging deep into your muscles.
It’s small, lightweight, and can easily fit into a backpack or messenger bag so it goes with you, wherever you go. And you can use it just about anywhere on your body, including those hard-to-reach places.
Now, if you are used to the power of Theragun’s massage guns, the Wave Solo does not deliver the same levels. However, it does help with areas that normally don’t get a lot of attention. Plus, you can leverage your body’s own weight to enhance the power.
By pressing your bodyweight against the Wave Solo, you add some additional pressure that enhances its vibration to work even more deeply to release your pain and tension.
It’s particularly good for folks with Plantar Fasciitis and can massage your entire foot with its ball design. And you can use it almost anywhere, from the office or school and even when on the road and while traveling.
- Includes three vibration settings that can dig deep into tension and soreness. Low surface area helps you pinpoints pressure for focused treatment and targeted pain relief.
- Connects to the Therabody app via Bluetooth where you can control the device’s settings like vibration. The app also offers guided rolling routines to follow to help you receive that tension.
- Long battery life, up to 120-200 total minutes before recharging!
- It’s quiet! QuietRoll technology mutes sound and reverberations.
- On the downside, this massage ball does not include a heat setting–its vibration only.
- Includes a 1-Year Limited Warranty.
- Ultra-Portable, Pinpointed Relief - Wave Solo has a low surface area that's designed to dig deep...
- What’s Included - Wave Solo device, Protective Carrying Pouch, USB-A to USB-C Cable. This device...
The Wellround app
The app for Wellbound’s massage ball system includes tutorials for over 150 techniques with step-by-step and easy-to-follow instructional videos.
All content, including videos, was created by wellness and fitness experts.
With the app, it’s easy to give yourself a deep tissue massage whenever you need it and focus on the specific areas where you need relief now.
Looking at all the different features that smart massage tools have to offer, you can now decide which ones best fit your needs.
I hope you enjoyed this article and that you enjoy using your smart massage device!
If you have any more questions or anything to add, please feel free to tell us about it in the comments section below!
If you liked this article, you can follow us on social media by using the social media buttons!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a muscle gun?
A massage gun is basically a DIY deep-tissue massage.
Muscle guns are electric handheld devices that provide what’s known as percussive or vibration therapy.
A massage gun transmits rapid bursts of pressure and vibration into your body’s muscle tissue.
A rippling effect can be seen in the tissues as the head of the gun oscillates back and forth.
A few studies suggest vibration therapy may reduce or even prevent muscle soreness.
How does a muscle gun work?
A muscle gun aims to reduce inflammation by flushing extracellular fluids such as lymph fluid and venous blood out of the muscle tissue and into the circulatory system.
A muscle gun can help relax tight muscles, break up scar tissue, and minimize muscle soreness and tension.
Releasing muscle tension can also help you sleep better by “downregulating” the nervous system.
When should I use a muscle gun?
Using a massage gun immediately after a particularly intense workout, such as a marathon or a heavy weightlifting session, might worsen inflammation and soreness.
A muscle gun may be more useful before a workout or the day after a workout to relieve delayed muscle soreness(DOMS).
We sometimes use affiliate links in our content from Amazon and others. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps us pay our expenses. Thank you for the support! Last update on 2023-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API