Popular Wearable and wellness company WHOOP is on a hiring spree. The company has posted several openings following its $100 million Series E Financing round late last year that provide clues about its growth strategy.
One of these positions, ‘Director of Medical Quality Systems’ stands out, as this shows that WHOOP may be planning on taking the next step to enter into the lucrative space of SaMD (Software as a medical device). This also implies that the company is looking to expand its wellness offerings via its WHOOP band.
- WHOOP Fitness tracker to assist in the study of burnout rates in ENT physicians
- WHOOP positioning as a clinical tool for Heart Failure management
- Whoop working towards features to monitor IBD Flareups
- Consecutive low recoveries on Whoop? Improve your recovery with these tips
Although the WHOOP wearable today provides users with details around HRV, Recovery, activity monitoring and sleep monitoring metrics, it does not yet offer FDA-approved software such as ECG monitoring or AI software for Cardiac monitoring etc.
This could change soon as the company pursues its expansion strategy.
The new ‘Director of Medical Quality Systems’ position will be the first full time hire at WHOOP responsible for setting the vision, choosing the technologies, and implementing the system that will allow WHOOP to develop SaMD in a rapid, agile manner.
The new position requires the following experience according to WHOOP’s recent job posting.
- 10+ years of broad experience with quality systems, with at least 3 years as a senior leader with direct responsibility for a quality system.
- Deep understanding of quality system requirements (Part 820 and ISO 13485) and of common standards for software (ISO 62304).
- Demonstrated change-management experience.
- Proven ability to create a culture of accountability and ownership.
- Experience with SaMD and regulated software development is desired, but not required.
Other newly posted job positions show that WHOOP is also trying to partner up with companies in the Life Sciences Vertical to expand its product market.
The new position strategic enterprise sales executive (Healthcare) will be responsible for building partnerships with Healthcare and Life Science in order to expand WHOOP into the enterprise market.
The company is also trying to expand internationally and is hiring marketing folks to help with international brand-building activities.
As a WHOOP user and an early follower of the company, we look forward to many more announcements from Will Ahmed and team.