Apple has filed a new trademark application for ‘Apple Watch Connected’ this month. This is different than the set of trademarks that the company had registered for Gymkit related equipment in the past.
The Gymkit related trademarks were filed a couple of years ago and were primarily for Gym equipment that integrated with the Apple Watch.
The new ‘Apple Watch Connected’ trademark filed on November 3rd, 2020, represents a category of new fitness and health services that could be coming soon from Apple.
The new Apple trademark filing covers four distinct IC (International class)
These are as follows:
IC009: ( Note the inclusion of ‘Blood Pressure’) signifying that Apple could be working or very close to offering a feature that could measure user’s Blood Pressure via the Apple Watch.
– “wireless communication devices for the transmission of voice, data, images, audio, video, and multimedia content; smartwatches; wearable activity trackers; downloadable computer software for use in connection with fitness, exercise, health, and wellness; downloadable computer software for sensing, monitoring, tracking, measuring, recording, displaying, storing, and transmitting biometric data,
Heart rate, pulse rate, blood pressure, calories burned, temperature, physical activity level, body movement, distance, altitude, speed, steps are taken, and biometric data; downloadable computer software for use in measuring heart rhythm and taking electrocardiograms; downloadable pre-recorded audio, video, and multimedia content; peripheral devices for wearable electronic devices and smartwatches; wearable peripherals for use with smartwatches; interfaces”.
- Apple’s future AirPods/earbuds could facilitate biometric measurements
- Verily researching a new finger wearable continuous blood pressure monitor.
- Is Apple’s approach to Blood Pressure monitoring via Apple Watch different than that of Samsung’s
- 5 Best Blood Pressure Apps For Monitoring and Tracking
- 3 Best Blood Pressure Monitors to Use With Apple’s Health App
- Samsung Health introduces Blood Pressure Monitoring for Galaxy Watch Active 2 users
Potential Apple Fitness+ and Health Service offerings
IC 41, 42, and 44 in this new trademark filing provide some glimpse around the positioning of Apple Fitness+ and new health services.
IC 41: Arranging, organizing, conducting, and presenting seminars, workshops, classes, webinars, conferences, online instruction, and distance learning programs in the field of fitness, exercise, health, and wellness; providing websites and computer applications featuring information in the field of fitness and exercise; health club services; health and fitness training; conducting fitness classes; sport camp services; providing sports facilities
IC42:providing online non-downloadable software for sensing, monitoring, tracking, measuring, recording, displaying, storing, and transmitting biometric data, heart rate, pulse rate, blood pressure, calories burned, temperature, physical activity level, body movement, distance, altitude, speed, steps taken, and biometric data; providing online non-downloadable computer software for use in connection with fitness, exercise, health, and wellness; providing online non-downloadable computer software for use in measuring heart rhythm and taking electrocardiograms (Another note showing that Blood Pressure monitoring should be coming soon from Apple)
IC 044. US 100 101. G & S: Health care services, namely, wellness programs; health spa services; health, fitness, exercise, and wellness monitoring, testing, screening, assessment, evaluation, and counseling services; providing information in the fields of health, fitness, exercise, and wellness; providing a website featuring information on health, fitness, exercise, and wellness
Apple’s Fitness+ service positioning could be way more than just streaming exercise programs connected to the Apple Watch.
Potential new service offerings that enrich Apple users’ wellness could include evaluation and counseling services, partnership with health spa services, and more.
Apple’s Fitness+ service offering is expected to launch soon with iOS 14.3.