Adding friends on your Fitbit is one of the best ways to get the most out of your wearable. Once you’ve added a new friend you can cheer, taunt, and message to motivate one another as you reach for your goals.
Plus you can see the information they share, like step average, top badges, and trophies to know where you rank in your social circles!
It’s one of Fitbit’s best assets, but it can be a little tricky to set up. So here’s our guide to adding and removing friends using Fitbit’s app and website.
- Want or earned a Lifetime badge on Fitbit? Learn all about Fitbit’s Lifetime badges
- How do I get my Fitbit repaired or replaced under warranty?
- Dropped your Fitbit in water or want to swim or shower with it? Learn about Fitbit’s water resistance
- How to contact Fitbit customer support about problems and warranty info
- Got a new or replacement Fitbit? How to set-up it up so you don’t lose data
- How to check your weekly report using the Fitbit app
- 1 How do I add friends on Fitbit?
- 2 How do I add Fitbit Friends using Facebook?
- 3 How do I add Fitbit Friends using Email?
- 4 Don’t want any Fitbit friend requests? Can you stop or restrict Fitbit’s friend requests?
- 5 How do I see what my Fitbit friends are up to?
- 6 How do I accept or decline Fitbit Friend requests?
- 7 How do I delete or block friends on Fitbit?
- 8 How do I control who sees my friends list?
- 9 Want to challenge your friends in the Fitbit?
- 10 Summary
How do I add friends on Fitbit?
You can add a maximum of 2,000 friends either from the Fitbit website account dashboard or from the Fitbit app.
Fitbit tries to find your contacts who have Fitbit accounts.
The Fitbit apps for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 also show you friends of friends, if your friends don’t privatize their friends list.
Remember you can invite anyone to be a Fitbit friend!
Add friends with the Fitbit App
- Open the Fitbit app and choose the Today tab (you can also tap the Community tab and choose Friends)
- For older Fitbit app versions, tap the Friends tab
- Tap your profile picture or icon and choose to view your account profile
- Tap the + Add Friends button
- Choose your preferred method to connect to your friends and follow the onscreen instructions. Choose from using your device’s contacts, Facebook, email, or via a friend’s Fitbit username
Add friends with using Fitbit’s website
- Log in to your Fitbit account using your preferred internet browser (such as Chrome or Safari.)
- Open your dashboard and locate the Friend’s tile.
- If you don’t see your Friends tile on your dashboard, tap the tiles icon and checkmark to add Friends
- Hover over the Friends tile and choose Find Friends.
- Under Find More Friends, choose a method to add friends, and follow the on-screen instructions. Choose from using Facebook or email.
How do I add Fitbit Friends using Facebook?
- From Add Friends in the Fitbit App or the Find More Friends in your account dashboard on Fitbit’s website, tap the Facebook tab or Connect with Facebook button
- For the app, at the bottom of the screen, tap Connect Facebook.
- Give permissions and sign in to your Facebook account (examples from the Fitbit app.)
- Allow Facebook to open Fitbit. Once they connect, your Facebook friends with Fitbit accounts appear on your list of Find Friends.
- To add a Facebook friend to your Fitbit friend’s list, tap the + symbol next to the name of the Facebook friend you want to add.
How do I add Fitbit Friends using Email?
Email Friends using the Fitbit app
- From Add Friends in the Fitbit App, tap the Email option, then enter the email address that your friend used to set up their Fitbit account.
- Tap the + icon next to the email address of the friend you want to add before pressing Done.
Email Friends using Fitbit’s website
- From the Find More Friends in your account dashboard on Fitbit’s website, tap the Invite By Email button.
- Type in your friend’s email addresses (up to 5 total friends at a time.)
- Wait for the message to show a preview and when ready, press Send.
Don’t want any Fitbit friend requests? Can you stop or restrict Fitbit’s friend requests?
Are you getting friend requests from strangers?
One of the downsides of Fitbit is that you often get a lot of friend requests from people you don’t know. Sadly, some of these requests are not from people seeking health and fitness motivation and connections.
Unfortunately, there is currently no option in the Fitbit app or on your online account dashboard using Fitbit’s website to disable friend requests or limit these requests to friends only.
At this time, Fitbit recommends turning off notifications for friend requests as a way to manage your requests. But this method does not stop these requests from showing up in the Fitbit app or via your Fitbit account’s website dashboard.
We would love for Fitbit to add a feature that allows users to turn off friend requests or to limit who can make friend requests. Consider adding your input to Fitbit’s feature suggestion page.
How do I see what my Fitbit friends are up to?
When you add a friend on Fitbit you’re able to compare your seven-day step totals. Here’s how you can see your friends’ rankings:
See your friends in the Fitbit App
- Tap the Community tab then click Friends.
- Your friends are listed in order, with the friend with the highest seven-day step total at the top.
Check out our friends using Fitbit’s website
- On the Fitbit website account dashboard, click on your Friends tile.
- Again, your friends will then be listed in order, based on their 7-day step total. To see the full list, hover over the tile and click See More.
How do I accept or decline Fitbit Friend requests?
There are lots of ways to accept or ignore friend requests from Fitbit users. You can use the app or the Fitbit website and your account dashboard. And if you receive an email, there is also a link inside that email to accept that request.
Accept or decline friend requests on iPhones and Android Phones
- In the Fitbit app, tap the Today tab and then the inbox icon at the top.
- Tap Notifications.
- Then, tap the friend request.
- Finally, tap Accept or Ignore for each of the requests you receive.
Accept or decline friend requests on Windows 10 Devices
- From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the notifications icon at the top.
- Tap Notifications.
- Tap Accept or Ignore the friend requests you receive.
Accept or decline friend requests on Fitbit’s website
- From the Fitbit website account dashboard, click the notifications icon in the top right.
- Click View Request to open a friend request.
- Click Accept or Ignore.
How do I delete or block friends on Fitbit?
Delete or block a friend using the Fitbit App
- First, tap the Today tab, tap your profile picture and then tap your name and scroll to see your friends. Or tap the Community tab and choose Friends.
- Tap the friend you want to delete or block. If you have a lot of Fitbit friends, press View All Friends.
- On their profile, tap the three dots.
- To remove the friend, tap Remove Friend.
- To block a friend, tap Block User.
Remove a friend using Fitbit’s website
- From the Fitbit website account dashboard, find the Friends tile.
- Click the friend you want to delete.
- On their profile, choose Remove Friend.
- If you don’t see that button, hover over the Friends button. The button turns pink, then tap the X that appears.
For now, you can only block friends using the app, although this may get addressed in a future update.
What happens when you block someone in Fitbit?
When you block friends and users on Fitbit, you can’t see them listed on your leaderboard and they no longer are a friend.
The reverse is also true: anyone you block can no longer see you as a friend, listed on their leaderboard, or send you private messages.
If a blocked person is in a group challenge, that person still appears in that challenge and can see your messages via that challenge.
How to unblock a Fitbit friend or user
If you want to unblock someone, go to Account, then Blocked Users, and choose the person you want to unblock.
You cannot unblock someone using Fitbit’s website and your account dashboard. You can only block or unblock inside the Fitbit app.
- Choose the Today tab
- Tap your account profile picture or icon to open your account settings
- Scroll all the way down to where you see Log Out
- Just above the log out option, you should see Blocked Users–tap that to see your current list
- Find the person you want to unblock and press UNBLOCK and confirm
- If you want to be friends, choose the option to send a friend request
How do I control who sees my friends list?
Control who sees our friends list in the Fitbit App
- Tap the Today tab. Next, tap your profile picture.
- Under Privacy and Security, tap Privacy, then My Friends.
- Adjust who can see your friends list.
- Tap Save.
Control who sees our friends list using Fitbit’s website
- From the Fitbit website account dashboard, click the gear icon.
- Next click Settings, then click Privacy.
- Under Personal Info, select My Friends.
- Click the arrow to adjust who can see your friends.
Want to challenge your friends in the Fitbit?
You can challenge any of your Fitbit friends using either adventure races or challenges–all from the Fitbit app. At this time, you cannot challenge friends using your account dashboard at Fitbit’s website. Challenges and adventures are an app-only feature.
If you subscribe to Fitbit Premium, you get access to even more challenges and adventures. Plus, you can personalize and customize challenges to compete with your friends and family.
Find challenges in the Fitbit app’s Discover tab
- Open the Fitbit app and tap the Discover tab.
- Choose Challenges & Adventures.
- Swipe or tap See All to view all the available challenges and adventures.
- Tap a tile to choose a challenge and tap the Start Now button.
- Or choose the option to start at a later time
- Invite your friends or even add new friends to your challenge via Facebook or Contacts.
- Once you invite all your friends, press the Start button.
- All your selected friends receive an invitation to accept and join the challenge (if desired)
- For some challenges, you can also compete against yourself, so just skip the step for adding friends.
- Look for challenges that list 1+ persons next to People or for ones listed as solo adventures.
We hope we’ve answered all your Fitbit Friend-related questions.
Still, need some help?
Comment below and we’ll try and find a solution as fast as we can!