This morning like most mornings, I woke up and strapped on my Fossil Carlyle Gen 5 smartwatch. The screen was black, but usually, that’s not a big deal. I tap it or press a button, and it turns on. But not this morning.
Today, my Fossil’s screen remained dark. Okay, restart it by pressing the middle button for a few seconds. Nope, that didn’t work. It wasn’t working and seemed stuck or, worse, dead.
The good news is that I did find a way to get it back working–here’s how.
- 9 tips to improve Battery Performance on your Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatch
- How to Fix “Fossil Watch Won’t Pair With new Phone”
- Fossil Wear OS smartwatch not receiving texts or notifications? How to fix it
- How to use wearOS Fossil Gen 5 and 6 sleep tracking features
- How to set up and use the weather tile on your Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatch
Long Restart your Fossil smartwatch
Although this method did not work for me, try this first.
- Press and hold down the crown (middle button) until the watch vibrates (may take 30-60 seconds.)
- After vibrating, release the button and wait to see if your watch turns on.
Reboot your Fossil wearOS smartwatch
- Clean your watch’s backside and charger with a lint-free cloth to remove any dirt, debris, or grease.
- Place your Fossil on its charger and charge it up for 30 minutes (just in case your watch’s battery was depleted.)
- Remove the watch from its charger.
- Hold down all three buttons until you feel the watch vibrate, then release. Usually, this takes 20-30 seconds but maybe as long as 45 seconds.
- Press and hold the middle button (the crown) for a few seconds until you feel another vibration and wait for the Fossil logo to appear on your watch’s screen, then release the button.
- When you see the Fossil logo on-screen, that’s a great sign! Wait for the watch to reboot to its clockface fully.
If your Fossil watch still doesn’t work, try these steps:
- Press and hold all 3 buttons until it vibrates 4 times. Then, release all three buttons.
- Wait for 10-15 seconds.
- Press and hold the crown (middle button) until it vibrates. Release the button and wait for the watch to reboot.
You may need to repeat this process a few times to get your watch to turn on. Also, some readers tell us that they started charging their watches and then repeated these steps.
Still not working?
If you tried all the steps and performed them multiple times, but your watch still won’t turn on, it’s likely a hardware problem that needs attention from Fossil’s support team.
First, gather all your paperwork, including the original receipt (proof of purchase), and then reach out directly to Fossil’s customer support. Fossil requires a printed copy of the receipt for all warranty repairs.
Fossil’s warranty currently covers your watch for two years.
If your watch is out of its warranty, you may have purchased it on a credit card that offers additional warranty coverage. Check with your credit card provider on their policy for extended warranties.