Your Fitbit username is the name Fitbit displays to your friends, make or accept challenges, or interact in the Friends section of the Fitbit app or fitbit.com’s dashboard. Your username might be your real name, but it’s likely different, such as a nickname.
Plus, if you want to post comments and replies to the Fitbit Community, you may have an additional Fitbit Community username.
So, it’s possible that you have three different names associated with your Fitbit account:
- Your actual name.
- Your Fitbit profile’s username (nickname.)
- Your Fitbit Community username.
Talk about confusing!
- How do I add and remove friends using Fitbit’s app and Fitbit’s website
- 5 best smart scales that work with the Fitbit app
- How to check your weekly report using the Fitbit app
- Why the Fitbit app shows “Get in Your Zone” message
How to set up your Fitbit username or nickname
First off, setting up a nickname (username) for your Fitbit account is not as easy as it should be!
When you first establish your Fitbit account with your Fitbit device using the Fitbit app, you enter your real name, answer some questions about yourself, and create your Fitbit account.
After you set up your Fitbit account profile, you can then add a unique username or nickname to your account, using the Fitbit app for iOS, Android, or Windows 10.
We don’t know why, but at the moment, Fitbit only allows you to set your user name with the Fitbit app.
You cannot establish a username when creating an account using Fitbit’s website or when using Fitbit Connect for Macs and older Windows computers.
Create your Fitbit username
- Install and open the Fitbit app, then select the Join Fitbit option
- Choose your Fitbit device or select Just the app to track your steps using just your phone or current device
- Follow the on-screen steps to add information about yourself, such as first and last name, email address, and create a unique password for the app
- After agreeing to the terms and conditions and choosing if you want notifications from the Fitbit app, you should see your Fitbit account dashboard
- Tap the Today tab, then tap the account icon at the top
- Tap your name
- Choose Personal
- Tap Display Name
- Scroll to Edit Names
- Tap Username and type in your preferred username
- Press Save to set your username
- After saving your username, make sure you tick that new username under Display Name so your Fitbit account now shows your username instead of your real name
Since this is a new user account, you will also need to verify your account via email. Check the email address you listed for that verification–you must verify within 24 hours.
How to find your Fitbit username
If you already established your Fitbit account but don’t know your username or can’t find it, let’s get that information.
Find your Fitbit username in the app
- Open the Fitbit app on one of your devices
- Choose the Today tab
- Tap your profile picture or icon to open your account details
- The first line lists your Fitbit username or your real name, depending on how you set it up
- Tap that first line to view your profile
- Choose Personal
- Tap Display Name. Find both your Name and Username listed here
- The ticked name is the default name Fitbit displays for your account, including to your friends
- If the Username is blank, scroll down to Edit Names and tap Username, then type in your preferred username
- Tick your username under Display Name to change your account, so it’s using your username instead of your real name
Find your Fitbit username in your online dashboard
- Open your Fitbit dashboard using the Fitbit accounts website
- Log in with your email and password
- From your account dashboard, tap your profile picture or icon
- Find your username just underneath the expanded profile picture or icon
- If you see your real name, then you have either not established a username or set your Fitbit account to display your actual name instead of your username
- To establish a username, you need to use the Fitbit app for iOS, Android, or Windows 10
How to change your Fitbit username
Fitbit does allow you to change your Fitbit username. However, you can only change your username or your name once every 60 days.
And unfortunately, you can only change your username within the Fitbit app.
There is no option to change your username (or nickname) in your Fitbit online account dashboard or within the Fitbit Connect app for Macs and older Windows computers.
You can, however, change your real name using your online dashboard or Fitbit Connect.
Change your Fitbit username using the Fitbit app
- Tap the Today tab and tap your profile picture or icon
- Tap your listed name to view your profile information
- Tap Personal > Display Name or the Settings Gear > Display Name for Android
- Scroll to Edit Names
- Tap the username you want to change
- Type in your updated username
- Tap Save
Change your actual name using your online Dashboard or Fitbit Connect
As mentioned, Fitbit only allows users to change their real names in their dashboard or via Fitbit Connect
Change your real name using your Fitbit account dashboard
- Open either Fitbit’s account website
- Enter in your Fitbit account credentials and login
- From your account dashboard, tap the Settings Gear and choose Settings
- Select Personal Info from the list of Settings options in the sidebar
- In the main panel, make any changes to your name. You can also update any other listed information such as birthdate, height and weight, and other advanced settings
- Tap Submit to save your changes. If you don’t see the submit button, scroll down
Change your actual name using Fitbit Connect
- Open the Fitbit Connect app on a supported computer
- Tap the option to set up a new device
- Choose Existing User
- Enter your Fitbit account email and password
- Tap Full Name to make changes. You can also update your birthdate, height and weight, gender, and timezone here
- Tap Update Profile to save your changes
Is your Fitbit name or username not correct or spelled right?
If you made a typo or a mistake in your name or username and you cannot correct it due to the 60 day waiting period, contact Fitbit’s customer support and ask them to change your name for you.
Follow this same method if you see that your name or username was recently updated and you did not authorize this name or username change.
For privacy purposes, Fitbit does not automatically use your Fitbit username in the Fitbit Community.
Since you share your Fitbit username with friends and make/accept challenges, keeping your actual Fitbit username off the Fitbit Community makes sense.
If you simply read through the Fitbit community forums, you do not need a separate Fitbit Community username.
However, if you want to reply to a forum post, ask a question of the community, or start a new thread, you need a Fitbit Community username.
Your Fitbit Community username is
You set up your Fitbit Community username when you first sign up for the community
- When you try to reply, start a new post, or try to interact with the content of the forums, Fitbit automatically asks you to set up a Fitbit Community username (if you don’t already have one)
- Your Fitbit community username is what appears when you post, reply, or interact with the community. The community DOES NOT show your Fitbit account username or your real name unless you use this same information as your community username
- We highly recommend you create a separate username for the Fitbit community–one that is different than your Fitbit account username and is also not your actual name (at least not both first and last names)
Community names are considered permanent and cannot be changed by users
However, Fitbit Moderators can change Fitbit Community usernames.
Changing community usernames is highly discouraged because it can break connections within the forum.
But if you mistakenly used your full name as your username, made a typo, used the same username as your Fitbit account, or have a solid reason why you need a change, ask a moderator if they can assist you.
Delete your Fitbit Community account and start over with a new username
Another option is to close your Fitbit community account and then sign up again with the username you want. You do lose any connection to that old username–you cannot transfer information between accounts.
How to delete your Fitbit Community account
- Visit the Fitbit Community’s website
- Log in with your email and Fitbit account password
- Tap the profile icon
- Choose Settings
- Tap Personal
- Choose Close Account