Staying hydrated is more important than the average person seems to think. And unfortunately, it’s easy to forget to drink water regularly when you’re busy with work, play, or family.
One easy way of solving this is by using smart water bottles!
The goal of a smart water bottle is similar to all types of wearable and fitness tech–it reminds you to follow healthy habits! Smart water bottles help you track how much water you drink and succeed in hitting your daily hydration goals!
This article focuses on smart water bottles that integrate with Apple Health, Fitbit, or Garmin so you can keep all your health and nutrition data in one place!
So, without any further ado, let us get right into it! In a hurry?
For those who want our recommendations without getting all the details, here are our top smart (and one not so smart) water bottles that work with Apple Health, Fitbit, or Garmin.
- Best overall: Hidrate Spark Steel
- Best mid-range: EQUA Smart Water Bottle
- Best for hot and cold liquids: Ozmo Smart Java+ Smart Bottle
- Best at cleaning and sanitizing your water: Philips GoZero
- Best budget (not sensor-based): HydroMate 32
- Apple: Hidrate Spark, Equa, Ozmo Java+
- Android: Hidrate Spark (Limited), Equa, and Ozmo Java+
- Fitbit: Hidrate Spark and Ozmo
- Best water tracking and reminder apps for Apple Watch
- 7 best medicine and pill reminder apps for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top 7 smart pain relief wearables with apps
- Best Smart Tape measures your health and fitness goals
- 6 Best Gadgets and Fitness Gear to complement your Strength Training
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases using links in this post.
The Importance of staying hydrated
Staying hydrated is essential for our overall well-being. It’s a well-known fact that water is the most important thing to look for in a survival situation. Dehydration can lead to vomiting, headaches, hallucinations, and even death in extreme cases.
But what happens when you don’t drink enough water under ‘normal’ circumstances?
According to our sources and plenty of studies, dehydration can negatively affect your heart rate, metabolism, and even your mental health.
That’s not to say anything about how much the body’s basic internal organs rely on water. We are talking about kidneys, intestines, the heart, brain, etc. To be more precise, dehydration can lead to higher stress levels, worst cognitive performance, and worst physical performance.
So, in simpler terms, not drinking enough water is not just as much of a hazard to your health as it is to your everyday life.
How much water do I need?
Not hydrating is dangerous. Recent studies indicate that even mild dehydration (water loss of 1–2% in your body) can impair cognitive performance.
Regarding dehydration’s adverse effects, we’re talking about people who don’t drink sufficient water throughout their day rather than completely abstaining from drinking it.
While there is no one-size-fits-all daily recommendation for the amount of water you should drink, many health experts recommend between half an ounce to an ounce of water for each pound you weigh.
That number can change depending on a few factors, though. Such as:
- Humidity in the area
- Your diet
- Amount of exercise
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Illness and health conditions
And it’s not just about water.
Eating foods with plenty of liquids or drinking beverages other than water may also add to your recommended water intake. Though, water is the most healthy way of hydrating yourself.
If you drink any less than half an ounce per pound each day, you may be increasing your stress levels and reducing your cognitive abilities.
Again, one way of reminding yourself to drink regularly and never encounter such issues is using smart bottles.
What is a smart water bottle?
Smart water bottles are designed to automatically track your water drinking using a sensor or other technology built-in or attached to the bottle.
These bottles usually track your consumption by measuring their weight or volume before and after drinking from the bottle.
Different smart water bottles offer different core functionalities. So while there is no standard definition, some of the most common uses are:
- Tracking water intake.
- Reminding you to drink at regular intervals.
- Cleaning/disinfecting the water and bottle interior for removing odors and improving safety.
Some options may also offer additional features, such as apps or markings. But their core functionality is helping you ensure that you are getting your necessary water intake.
So, with all that out of the way, let us check some of the best options!
Best Smart Water Bottles to get this year
1. Hidrate Spark Steel: Best high-end smart water bottle
Love cold water and other drinks? Then, a great high-end option to check out is Hidrate’s steel bottle.
It comes in different sizes and designs with vacuum insulation and several different colors/designs to choose from.
We love that this bottle tracks water and reminds you to drink water periodically throughout your day.
- NEW design includes a rechargeable battery and comes with a fast charging cable so you never miss a...
- Make it your own by choosing from 2 size (17oz or 21oz) and lid options, 5 bottle color options, and...
This bottle comes with a sensor (a puck attached to the bottle’s bottom) that tracks how much water you consume per day.
The sensor also features cool light effects on the bottle’s bottom that remind you to drink water regularly.
The LED smart sensor puck glows to remind you when to drink and uses Bluetooth to sync your water intake to the HidrateSpark app.
Tracking your water intake is easy using via the HidrateSpark app for Android and iOS – which also sends you water reminders as notifications on your phone. There’s even an Apple Watch complication for folks that want to stay informed via a wearable.
When used in conjunction with the Fitbit app, Garmin Connect, Google Fit, or Apple Health app, it updates your hydration goal and achievements to these apps. It even dynamically adjusts the amount of water you need to drink after exercising.
And when it comes to charging, the bottle’s battery is detachable and rechargeable with what seems to be a USB cable.
With that said, due to the bottle’s electronic parts, it’s worth keeping in mind that you shouldn’t submerge it underwater and keep it out of the dishwasher, too (the lid can go in the dishwasher).
Also, you should avoid using hot liquids. Cold water and even ice cubes are fine, though.
Vacuum isolation should help with keeping the water cold for some time.
And if you don’t like the look, there are also the beautiful Hidrate Spark Steel options.
- The World’s Smartest Water Bottle: The LED smart sensor puck glows to remind you when it’s time...
- BPA-Free, Vacuum-Insulated Stainless Steel: Keeps drinks cold up to 24 hours and prevents sweating,...
And there are also cheaper plastic options.
- BPA-free, shatter and odor proof Tritan plastic bottle body features a carrying loop which makes it...
- LED smart sensor puck glows to remind you when it’s time to drink and tracks your water intake by...
- Tracks water intake.
- Automatically reminds you to drink water with or without the app.
- Heat insulation.
- Optional straw lid, so you don’t have to lift the bottle to drink.
- Fits most car cupholders.
- Syncs with Apple Health, Fitbit, and Google Fit apps.
- You can’t use this smart water bottle with hot drinks, and the bottle’s body can’t be washed in a dishwasher.
- Must charge the bottle with the charging cable that comes with the bottle. Other cables damage the bottle’s sensor.
2. EQUA Smart Water Bottle: Best mid-range
This is another premium smart water bottle that costs less than Hidrate’s offerings while offering most of its features.
One advantage over Hidrate is that you can safely put it in the dishwasher after removing the cap and sensor.
According to EQUA, hot drinks are just fine as cold ones.
Other than that, you can expect to get glow reminders and water tracking as well – as you would with any premium intelligent water bottle.
Though, it’s worth keeping in mind that the sensor relies on movement to track water intake. So, it may be a bit inaccurate at times – especially if you move around a lot with it.
- Dishwasher safe (as long as you remove the cap and sensor.)
- Works with hot drinks as well as cold.
- Water tracking and glowing reminders.
- Syncs with Apple Health app.
- Not the most accurate water tracking sensor out there.
3. Ozmo Java+ Smart Water Bottle: Best for hot and cold beverages
We love Ozomo’s smart bottles because they automatically detect if you’re drinking hot or cold liquids and work for up to 3 weeks on a single charge. This bottle keeps your coffee warm at 114°F (45°C.)
Plus, it syncs with Apple Watch, Fitbit, Garmin, and many others to re-evaluate your hydration needs post-workout.
- Works with hot drinks and cold.
- Keeps your coffee warm with onboard heating.
- Water tracking and reminders.
- Syncs with Apple Health app, Fitbit, Garmin, and others.
- Up to 3 weeks battery life with a full charge of 2 hours.
- Hand washes only. It cannot go in the dishwasher.
4. Philips GoZero + WaterMinder: Best at sanitizing
Intelligent bottles are not all about tracking water intake and reminding you to drink now and then.
Some, such as the Philips GoZero, are focused on sanitizing your water, so it’s safe to drink.
The GoZero uses UV-C LED technology with a wavelength of 280 nanometers to eliminate up to 99.999% of waterborne pathogens, including viruses and bacteria.
Plus, one full charge of this smart bottle works for up to 30 days, so you don’t need to keep charging it to have clean water at your fingertips.
If you’re traveling to parts unknown, this bottle is a great option to ensure the water won’t cause health problems.
- ★ 𝐀 𝐒𝐞𝐥𝐟-𝐂𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐭...
- ★ 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐔𝐬𝐞: With a magnetic easy-charge USB...
To be more specific, the Philips GoZero uses UV (Ultraviolet) lighting to eliminate up to 99.9% of bacteria and viruses from your water every 2 hours.
You know the water is ready for drinking once the blue light stops flashing on the cap!
However, since there are no built-in reminders, you’ll have to rely on a 3rd party reminder such as WaterMinder.
WaterMinder tracks your water intake and caffeine intake, plus other drinks like soda or alcohol.
Thankfully, this bottle is also dishwasher safe and made with food-grade stainless steel. Just make sure to remove the UV cap before placing it in the dishwasher.
- Food grade stainless steel bottle (18/8.)
- Disinfects your water from bacteria and viruses and removes odors.
- All parts are dishwasher-safe except for the filter and the cap.
- Clean the entire bottle using the UV-C button to activate a cleaning mode.
- Keeps drinks hot for up to 12 hours or cold for up to 24 hours with built-in double-wall vacuum insulation.
- App syncs with the Apple Health app.
- Doesn’t come with tracking or built-in reminders.
- Requires a custom charger cable.
5. HydroMate 32 + WaterMinder: Best Budget Smart Water Bottle
Sometimes simple is better!
Hidrate’s offerings are undoubtedly great, but they are also a bit on the pricey side. So, a cheaper alternative to check out is the HydroMate 32!
Because there is no sensor in this bottle, you will need to enter your water intake manually.
- ⭐WATER BOTTLE WITH TIME MARKER: It's even easier than ever to drink the perfect amount of water...
- ⭐DISTINCT DESIGN: Our unique bottle will inspire to want to drink more water with the encouraging...
This bottle takes a different approach. Instead of relying on modern sensors and wireless technology to keep track of water and remind you to drink, it does things the old-fashioned way.
Its outer layer has imprints that remind you to drink at specific times per day. Or, to be more accurate, the timestamps are:
- 8 AM and 2 PM
- 9 AM and 3 PM
- 10 AM and 4 PM
- 11 AM and 5 PM
- Then 12 PM and 6 PM
Since it has a liter/32 oz capacity, all you have to do is refill it twice per day, and that’s how you know you are getting your minimum daily water intake.
And while this bottle is not as fancy as the premium bottles offer, don’t forget that it has the upside of heat resistance and liquid resistance.
After all, there are no electronic components to damage. Feel free to use hot water or other warm to hot liquids.
Unfortunately, it is not dishwasher safe, but an easy hand cleaning with baking soda and vinegar keeps it clean and sanitized.
If occasionally glancing at the markings is not enough to remind you to drink water at regular intervals, we’d recommend using a 3rd party app on your phone or smartwatch, such as WaterMinder.
And for folks that don’t like plastic bottles, there’s a glass version too!
Since there is no onboard sensor, you must manually enter your water and other beverage intake or use an app like WaterMinder.
For those that like the Shortcuts app, you can also create a shortcut to log your water, beverage, and caffeine intake in the Health app.
- More durable than premium smart bottles.
- Extremely easy to use (since you don’t have to deal with wireless connectivity or charging.)
- Relatively cheap.
- Fits most car cupholders.
- No automatic reminders.
- It is not insulated, though you can purchase an optional insulation sleeve.
- Must manually log water intake or use a third-party app.
Is a Smart Water Bottle worth it?
Yes. Smart water bottles are a one-time investment that can help keep you hydrated for the rest of your life – or at least until the battery dies.
Are Smart Water Bottles safe?
Depends on the bottle. But any smart bottle that is BPA-free and is designed for long-term use should be as safe to use as any other water bottle out there.
How does a Smart Water Bottle Work?
Smart water bottles typically use a sensor that tracks how much water you consume and a mechanism that reminds you to drink water regularly.
Some bottles may also offer additional functionality – such as UV disinfecting and cleaning.
These are our top picks for now. If you have any questions to add or anything else to add, please let us and everyone else know about it in the comments section down below!
If you like this article, feel free to stick around for more pieces on tech, wellbeing, gadgets, news, and more!
SOURCES: WebMD, OXFORD, REPOSITORIO ACADEMICO (CHILE), HEALTHLINE
We sometimes use affiliate links in our content from Amazon and others. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps us pay our expenses. Thank you for the support! Last update on 2022-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API